Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 10:33 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JustRandy
No one gave me dimensions when I bent up mine.
To get a rough idea, you could scale a parts diagram in the vault. I think the bolts holding it in are either eights or sixes, so see if that helps just to get you started.

Old 06-15-2009, 10:39 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by atvman29
Looks good man! I would honestly say that's the first 230 fenders I've ever seen, that I like cut. That front cut looks really nice!

Thanks. They came that way, and I think I like the look better than stock. I still can't get over how ballsy this thing is. I've been driving it in second gear, just to avoid the rooster tails and wheelies on these short trails I have around here. Need some place where I can take it and really open her up.

Old 06-15-2009, 10:44 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by JustRandy
Did you get it yet?
Playin around with it right now!!

Amazingly clean! I don't know if you saw my post about the hat, but nothing bad seems to be happening yet, so that's good. I haven't run it a ton though. If it was leak, you'd think the hat would be wet and the machine would be dripping, but neither of those are happening.

Tonight I just kind of went through and did a few small things. Wiped all the dam Armor-All off the plastics (I swear they dunked it!), cleaned the air filter with this, which I HIGHLY recommend, the guy had about 3 inches of slack in the clutch cable, so I snugged that up. I also just about lost a bar end into the bowels of my handlebars as I was trying to get a grip to stop spinning.

Speaking of spinning grip, if any of you have one, but no glue handy, take of the grip and put a layer of electrical tape around the bars, and slide it back on. Holds like a champ! If it still slips, add more tape.

hmmm, what else did I do.....

I glanced at the front end and I might adjust the tie-rods a bit, the wheels seem a little toed out. Is that normal?

The center piece of plastic under the gas cap has 1 out of its original 6 tabs left, and one of the two dart clips left, so I re-attached that the best I could too. That piece of plastic is only $12 new though.

Tipped my bars forward since the guy had them so far back they were rubbing the tank.

So it was a pretty busy night! I'm working on getting the rear fenders to bolt on to their braces right now. The plastic ones snapped off.

The first things I'm going to get are my good 'ol handguards, a chassis skid (since this one's is missing (the linkage and swingarm have nice aluminum ones though)), and different grab bar, if I don't make one, and possibly a couple of Holeshot HD fronts. They're pricey though, so that might wait.

I'll post up some fresh pics in a few! I'll pop the front fenders off for one shot too.

Old 06-16-2009, 09:09 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Post about the hat? No, I missed that one.

They say hair spray works for grips.

Not sure about the toe. Wheels should point straight ahead. Don't know why it would be any other way. Probably the guy who put it together just didn't care that much. Same goes for the handlebars.

Old 06-16-2009, 09:14 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally Posted by atvman29
Looking forward to the article, and I would measure it for you, but I don't have my 230 anymore! The guy @ the dealer took my trade offer of $1100 after he initially shot me $800! He tried to take me for a ride, but I held on till the end!

Going through it right now....So far the only weird thing I've found is a hat under the radiator, but it wasn't wet after I ran it. So bad sign good sign I guess!
A hat? Maybe he ran some guy over and his hat got stuck in the radiator.

Old 06-16-2009, 08:14 PM
Weekend Warrior

I just joined your form. I found it while searching for info on the 230 i just bought. In 85 i bought a new 230 and fell in love with the bike right away, I sold it when the kids came along and have wanted one ever since. Right now i have an 86 and an 85. I am restoring the 85 from the ground up. I am in Ontario Canada and have just begun my project and will be looking for some good advice on my rebuild.

Old 06-16-2009, 08:36 PM
Pro Rider
Default lt230 oil filter

Just as an FYI, FRAM #CH6064 oil filters fit 230's. I had to have it overnighted to my local Advance Auto, but it was like $5 and I had it the next day. Beats having to order online and ship it.

Old 06-16-2009, 11:40 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Brtn-rider
I just joined your form. I found it while searching for info on the 230 i just bought. In 85 i bought a new 230 and fell in love with the bike right away, I sold it when the kids came along and have wanted one ever since. Right now i have an 86 and an 85. I am restoring the 85 from the ground up. I am in Ontario Canada and have just begun my project and will be looking for some good advice on my rebuild.
Welcome! Good to have you aboard and you have definitely come to the right place. Be sure to check out the website in my link. Its a website dedicated to your very four wheeler.

Hope you stick around.

Old 06-16-2009, 11:43 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by bashr52
Just as an FYI, FRAM #CH6064 oil filters fit 230's. I had to have it overnighted to my local Advance Auto, but it was like $5 and I had it the next day. Beats having to order online and ship it.
Cool! Good to know.

Old 06-16-2009, 11:44 PM
Pro Rider

Alright I'm going to photoshop up my 2 choices in handguards and I need some opinions! Give me a few....

Quick Reply: 85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.