Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Daughters 89 LT80: No power with wheels on the ground

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2006, 01:57 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Daughters 89 LT80: No power with wheels on the ground

Thanks LT80 for the help in the past in PHX. Wish I would have had time to meet you...
So I have my daughter’s bike looking and running great... Except...
It appears the clutch is not allowing the bike to rev or the belt to slip. With the rear wheels in the air it revs up instantly. With it on the ground, I have to push the bike until it gets to around 5 MPH or so and then it is at a high enough RPM for it to take off. I assume it is the clutch since I have a new belt and the clutch is nearly the only thing that is not brand new!
If you feel I am headed down the right path, what do I need to purchase specifically and where can I go to get the parts?

Thanks!
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 06-01-2006, 03:05 AM
Pro Rider

if you've already ruled out the clutch check the variator side of the pully now... I'd pull off the cover and run it to see which side of the belt is not grabbing because it may be the variator. If it moves up and down easily on the variator side then for sure its the clutch... in which case you can get a new malossi clutch for around $125. Depending if the LT has any motor mods you will have to adjust the new clutchs springs for stall speed depending on the RPM's the motor is pulling at.

Old 06-01-2006, 05:01 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: BLJaxon
Thanks LT80 for the help in the past in PHX. Wish I would have had time to meet you...
So I have my daughter’s bike looking and running great... Except...
It appears the clutch is not allowing the bike to rev or the belt to slip. With the rear wheels in the air it revs up instantly. With it on the ground, I have to push the bike until it gets to around 5 MPH or so and then it is at a high enough RPM for it to take off. I assume it is the clutch since I have a new belt and the clutch is nearly the only thing that is not brand new!
If you feel I am headed down the right path, what do I need to purchase specifically and where can I go to get the parts?

Thanks!
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]
This may sound crazy at first, BUT make 100% sure the exhaust isnt plugged. I have worked on a couple small quads for my friends kids. They both had the same exact symptoms as yours. Hold the rear wheels off the ground and it ran great; on the ground it wouldnt pull its own weight. I pulled the muffler off and they were 75% plugged. All I did was burned the crap out of them with a propane tourch and knocked the carbon out. They they ran great again

Old 06-01-2006, 12:16 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

I agree w/the pipe thing.
I'd also make sure a jet isn't clogged.
After that, I'd check to see if the front clutch rollers are OK. Since you installed a new belt, I'll presume you maintenenced the front clutch. Possibly too much grease.
Lemme know please. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 06-02-2006, 02:31 AM
Weekend Warrior

Since I have a new DG Pipe and engine rebuild/Seals etc .30 overand lastly, tha rebuilt carb with a spare 20mm carb to experiment with, I am leaning towards the clutch. How should I troubleshoot it? I seen mention of a malossi clutch. I took the clutch appart and found that the rollers have worn into the the housing and they are not as round as they probably should be.
I visited the web site for Malossi and found clutch info for a 50 and 90cc... How do i order the correct Clutch from here or anywhere to allow th ebike to operate correctly? Also, I do I insure the torque drive rear pully assemble is working properly?

Again, feedback is greatly appreciated[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 06-02-2006, 04:28 AM
Pro Rider

Sounds to me like the lt is around a 90 now so you may need to go to a higher rev'ing clutch so that's why it's not grabing at the wheels. Malossi may be like other big-brand companies outh there that will only sell if you have a storefront and business licence. Check out lakesmotorsports.com. They carry the Malossi Delta clutch for just under $150. I'm running that in my son's race 90 and it works great. I have had to change out the springs to fine tune for the RPM's it's running in but if you're not racing it's not really needed. Hetrickracing.com also offers alot of mini quad parts. Infact, Hetrick also provides the scematic on how to take appart the CVT clutch system these mini quads use on their site. Another good site is cgracing.com. He owns his own Suzuki shop and has sponsored riders that kick butt (along with Hetrick who has his own race team himself).... These two guys know alot about mini quads. I have spent alot of time on the phone with them (both Rick Hetrick and Chris Grissom) over the past 2 years picking their brains. CGR actually custom modifies some CVT parts for better performance such as variators/clutchs... Both of these guys also make great (and expensive) custom mini motors.

I've had to tear into these mini quads the past 2 years during race seasons and have had to order parts from all over the place. Not everyone offers or stocks these parts since most come direct from China and get held up in customs... so I'd try the 3 I listed and price them out.

check my page and if I can help more pm me

Old 06-02-2006, 10:29 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

s9195, did you see that he has a LT80? 2 replys and not 1 bit of correct info.
Mallosi makes nothing for a LT80. Maybe if you called Rich or Chris they could enlighten you as to the difference between the other imports and a LT80.
Sorry but misinformation is not needed. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Now, back to correct info for the topic starter.....
You need a new front clutch sliding face (what zuki calls it, not a variator). You also need new rollers and the plate that covers the rollers. Get them from Zuki, about $70 in parts.
To check the rear clutch take it off and squeeze the sliding face. It should slide.Hardly ever a problem here. Also stick your finger in the bearings and roll them. It should roll smooth. If not replace the bearings.

Old 06-02-2006, 12:15 PM
Pro Rider

I saw that it was an LT80... then read that it was .30 over.... sounded to me like the stock clutch system can't keep up with the RPM's now... and I know I don't know alot about the LT's, that why I suggested to contact the people/sites I listed....

I'm just trying to help a guy out..... take it or leave it... but what isn't needed on this site is sarcasim... no matter who you are.... sorry BLJaxon for this... Not all people on this site respond this way... This site acutally is pretty helpfull.....

Hopfully you can get your daughters LT going again shortly.