Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Eiger gear shifter problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2020, 06:37 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by merryman
Depending if it is a manual or Auto, it has one or two gear levers. Hand lever on tank is what previous posters are on about, and on manual, foot lever needs to be in neutral before you can change into reverse on the hand lever. On the auto, you can just shove hand lever into required gear then press throttle to go. All quads need rocking to get a gear with engine stopped but should be OK with it running. Check the lever(s) on the side of the alternator case are tight on the splines, and there is a big hexagonal thing sticking out of the back of the case near where the wires come out, check this is tight.

"sometimes it will just move up and down freely, as if it's broken, and will seem to "catch" all of a sudden and jerk into gear and forward. You can hear a rattling sound when it does this."

This does not sound good, but the engine should be going too slow at idle, for any "jerking forwards" when you go from neutral into gear. Come to a stop before going from high to low.
It is an auto. It DOES idle too high. There seems to be an issue with the carburetor/ fuel injection as well though. We have to keep the choke on it a little more than it seems that it should be in order for it to stay running. If not, it will cut off and occasionally backfire. I am a female and know absolutely didly squat about any of the levers or hexagon things that you are speaking of, lol, BUT I do have sense enough to research something when I am THIS clueless lol which is what brought me here.
So the very loose gear shifter that all of a sudden seems to "catch" and then jerk the 4 wheeler and makes the rattling sound is EXACTLY what it is doing. I have it in the shop about to be fixed, but my little girls are wanting to ride it today so I was contemplating going to get it from the shop flr a little while just so they can ride it today and then take it back this evening. I just want to make sure that with us riding it for a little while today, with it doing the things that I described, will not cause any further or more costly and major damage to it. Thank you so much for taking your time to try to help me with this.

Old 09-08-2020, 02:04 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 342 Likes on 333 Posts

Probably too late now, but use as little choke as possible so the engine is running as slow as possible when you put it into gear, and you should be OK for one day. The carb will need cleaning out and the gearshift sorting ASAP though.

The "sometimes it will just move up and down freely" puzzles me a bit, as the gearshift on an Auto doesn't move up and down, but forwards and backwards. That is why I assumed you must have a manual shift bike.

Old 09-10-2020, 12:33 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by merryman
Probably too late now, but use as little choke as possible so the engine is running as slow as possible when you put it into gear, and you should be OK for one day. The carb will need cleaning out and the gearshift sorting ASAP though.

The "sometimes it will just move up and down freely" puzzles me a bit, as the gearshift on an Auto doesn't move up and down, but forwards and backwards. That is why I assumed you must have a manual shift bike.
Yes, forwards and backwards.