Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Motor Fan

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2001, 07:28 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has any one had any luck buying an after market motor fan for the KING QUAD. If so can you point me the direction to look for one.

Old 01-17-2001, 08:03 PM
Pro Rider

dealer, if you can find it there let me know and I got a web site they have them on

Old 01-18-2001, 01:39 AM
Pro Rider

A couple of friends of mine have put fans on their machines. One used a fan from a 1980 honda Civic and the other used a fan off a wrecked subaru. Both are small and move lots of air. They didn't seem to have much trouble hooking them up. They used a manually operated switch to turn them on and off. The good thing about the fans is by switching the wires you can control which way they blow. They be had real cheap from most wrecking yards.

Old 01-18-2001, 12:40 PM
Trailblazer

Did your friends mount the fan to blow air through the oil rad, or over the engine head directly?

Old 01-18-2001, 01:35 PM
Trailblazer

Robh let me know what the web site is. Thanks for responding.

Old 01-18-2001, 06:06 PM
Pro Rider

The fans were setup to blow air across the heads. You have to remember to turn them off when going through water. As for the oil cooler, go to the local computer store or radio shack and buy a computer cooling fan. They run on 12 volts and can be attached directly to the oil cooler with zip ties. In fact if you get the right size I think you can put 2 fans on the oil cooler. They'll move enough air across the fan to help cool your oil, and they are a lot cheaper than the ones that the dealer will sell you.

Old 01-18-2001, 06:20 PM
Pro Rider

Wait a minute Kevin and Rob! Minehunter's got a good idea here but has anybody besides me ever had trouble with the "hot oil" warning lite coming on? Maybe you can ask your friends for us, Minehunter, why did they add the fans and if it was necessary to cool the engine on a riding excursion, did they ever try the same trip, same set of circumstance, with the fan turned on? Only happened to me on one trail, tuff course too! I don't want to rob power from the engine if I don't need to. These little 280's are tuff too guys but lets face it. They're either goin' up the hill or not in most cases. Not much chance of you over working them since they just don't have the power. I KNOW! There's always an exception. Keep me honest fellas...
Chuck, Suzuki KQ 300, GPS & lunch...

Old 01-18-2001, 08:00 PM
Pro Rider

Well heres the link for the fan:

http://www.epowersports.com/parts/

But I gotta tell ya it aint cheep,the whole thing as a compleate unit is just under 300 bucks. So far Ive had no probs in the cooling dept yet, i just figure it couldnt hurt. I do like the idea of goin to a junk yard and gettin a small fan off of a junk car. I dont think the computer muffin fan will last very long.

Old 01-18-2001, 11:09 PM
Pro Rider

The real problem is this. If you ride someplace where it gets hot out and you don't let the
engine cool for awhile at idle after a long ride, the seal on the front drive shaft has a tendency to cook itself to death setting in very hot oil. The seal hardens and then slowly starts to fail. You may get an oil leak there that is very slight, this is the warning sign. Computer muffin fans will last for about 2 years of use if you ride about 500 miles a year. I put one on my KQ after the seal gave out. The mechanic at the dealership told me to do it. The KQ was still under warranty when the seal gave out, but it had a 4 year extended one. It had 1175 miles on it at the time.
As for pulling power from the engine, a 3 inch computer fan draws .14 (fourteen hundreds) of an amp at max load. Not a lot of power required. The engine fans draw about 3 amps under normal loads. I never got around to putting on the engine fans like my friends did, just the oil cooler/computer fans. I then sold the KQ and bought an Arctic Cat.
And yes, I have done the same rides with and without cooling.

Old 01-18-2001, 11:41 PM
Weekend Warrior

Arctic cat sells a fan for there 250 and 300 for 129.00

Quick Reply: Motor Fan