Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Eiger help

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2008, 09:48 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Eiger help

I have a 2006 Eiger that was hard to start and would not idle. I cleaned out the carb and the gas tank, now it backfires out the exhaust. Any ideas?

Old 11-02-2008, 11:23 PM
Pro Rider
Default Eiger help

locate your pilot jet on the carb. count how many turns in or out it is when removeing. clean the pilot jet and the hole it goes into on the carb. also try cleaning your air filter.

its ether a problem with your pilot jet or the filter. good luck

Old 11-03-2008, 12:03 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Eiger help

I bet thats your problem you took out the other jets first looked at them and seen how they were made and screwed the jet pilet screw out and didnt count how many times you turned it and you just kinda put it bask in eyeballing it and ow it just needs alittle tweek...... correct me if im wrong. lol if so dont feel bad i did it the first time i ever cleaned a carb anyways. if you can take a screwdriver bit like goes in the hand held drives( like1/4 long) and use if to ajust the crew with the motor running turn it slowly till the engine picks up and idles the highest. than set the idle back to where it runs comfortable slow were you like it and you should be good. BUT you may have to mess with the idle allitle the next time you crank it and it being cold? just saying after two little tweek sessions lol you should be fine hope this helpss. outty.

Old 11-03-2008, 12:40 AM
Trailblazer
Default Eiger help

Need a bit more info. Did this recently happen, like after a long ride or after sitting for a while? What is the temp where you are? Elevation? I bought mine new and had the same thing happen the first winter...had to run with the choke on until I opened up the air/fuel screw to 3 turns. In relation to the cold winter, I also had backfiring due to being too lean on the pilot band. Again, the 3 turns fixed that as well. If you just got through riding and it is now hard to start, make sure you didn't suck a seed in through the fuel tank or carb vent. Also, make sure the carb vent that runs under your seat isn't kinked or pinched off...that is also a common issue after working on these carbs. I'm not sure what elevation you are at, but I'm in the Cincinnati area... and the modifications that are in my profile really made a difference...noticable throttle response and top end power improvements....also, it starts and runs without the choke (even in winter) and no backfiring during decel. One other tip is to install a fuel filter after the petcock if you haven't already...that will save you from plugging the jets up with a seed or something.

Later

Old 11-04-2008, 12:25 PM
Trailblazer
Default Eiger help

I would say either carb jetted to rich or mayb timing off by a hair

Old 11-05-2008, 08:29 PM
Trailblazer
Default Eiger help

And be sure you didn't fill that vent tube with water, when/if you washed it.

Old 11-06-2008, 12:30 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Eiger help

I got it. I had a new jet kit put in the carb, adjusted the valves, put in a inline fuel filter and now my workhorse is back. Thanks for all your help.

Old 11-07-2008, 12:22 AM
Trailblazer
Default Eiger help

The Shotgun approach! Gotta love it! Any idea which change fixed the problem? And by new jet kit, do you mean that you changed the main jet size? And how was checking the valve clearances...I plan on doing that soon and am curious about the difficulty in reaching the valves in the front. I went out and purchased some bent feeler gauges, so I hope that helps with the angle.

Old 11-08-2008, 08:42 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Eiger help

I didn't change the size. I just installed a new kit. I had someone do the valve work.