Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

2004 Suzuki Ozark carb flooding

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2012, 02:23 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 Suzuki Ozark carb flooding

I am having a common issue with the carb on my Ozark. I left the petcock on PRI (my fault) and the carb flooded the engine. I changed the oil and filter. Pulled the carb and rebuilt, put everything back together. Now it is running really rich and seems like it is getting too much fuel. I replaced the needle valve during the rebuild, doesn't look like the seat is replaceable. When I shut the supply off to the carb, it runs smooth until it runs out of fuel. The overflow hose isn't spitting out any gas either. It seems the needle isn't seating, but I'm not sure why. Thanks for the help

Old 10-05-2012, 05:49 PM
Trailblazer

are you sure you put the needle in correct? sounds like something is out of place. i would tear it back down and put it back together. then try again to see if its still an issue. also did you clean the seat at all?

Old 10-05-2012, 07:57 PM
Pro Rider
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Did you leave the needle jet holder out of the center of carb. Look thru the throat of carb an see if you see an brass tude in the center of carb that the long brass needle is going thru..Sometime the holder will fallout while the jets are removed..I have done this several times myself easy to do....Good Luck

Old 10-06-2012, 07:59 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Welcome to the forums.
Needle:: are you meaning the float needle or the needle that is part of the throttle?
I'm reading this as a petcock or float needle/seat problem.

Old 10-09-2012, 10:37 AM
Weekend Warrior

OK So I removed the carb and disassembled, again. Everything looked in place. The brass tube that the throttle (not float) needle was installed correct as when I replaced it. I checked the float needle and needle seat, everything looks clean and functioning. I pushed the float inward and it sealed in the seat, not letting fuel by. Now I'm thinking it is not a carb issue. I pulled the plug, it is wet with gas and oil. From the crank filling with fuel before it could still be burning off, but wouldn't that mean it was leaking past the piston rings and the rings are possibly worn? I tried to check the compression, but I don't have the correct adapter for my compression tester. Also, when I pull the vacuum line off the carb to the pet ****, it has gas in it. When is it running now it smokes and doesn't idle, it cuts out when you release the throttle. When you remove the vacuum line, it smooths out and doesn't smoke, until it runs out of fuel in the bowl and dies. It looks like the petcock is working right, with the vacuum line from the carb installed, it flows fuel, and when you remove it, it stops. I'm not very famliar with the operation of these petcocks as far as fuel rate and the vacuum side of the carb. Why would it have fuel in it? I'm wondering if that is causing my issues.
Thanks again for the help.

Old 10-09-2012, 01:40 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert

The petcock is bad.
There is a diaphram that goes bad thus the vaccum line is vaccuming fuel into it and the motor thus flooding and not running right.

Old 10-09-2012, 02:46 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks LT80,
I just confirmed this by running a secondary fuel source (coolant overflow jug) and plugging the vacuum port on the carb. Now my second question, what should I do? Replace with factory parts or try to modify to a regular petcock and keep the vacuum port blocked?
Thanks

Old 10-09-2012, 03:14 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert

I'd install a simple on/off petcock.
OR.....simply plug the carb and petcock vac port and get a inline on/off valve at advanced auto (lawn mower section) for 4 bucks. That has fixxed many LT80 petcock problems.
FYI: a LT250r petcock fits a LT80, so does a banshee petcock. It's only a guess, but they may fit.

Old 10-09-2012, 03:40 PM
Weekend Warrior

I've read some other posts and it looks like guys are swapping out the suzuki petcock with one for a 2002 wolverine. Same size and bolts right up, just plug the vacuum port on the carb. I just ordered one, $22, sure beats the $104 from suzuki. I will post how it works.
Thanks

Old 11-02-2012, 04:00 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default carb issue

Hi,
I find I'm having the same problem with my LT4WD 250 (87) the pressure from the fuel pump on mine is so powerfull it is getting passed the float chamber pet **** and flooding the engine. I have to rim my fuel tank, blank off the vacuum port and hose then it runs sweet. As soon as i connect it up it pours fuel in! If I run the tank to half I run out of fuel as its now gravity fed. Is there a way to reduce the pumps pressure?

The carb has just had a rebuild and the old pet **** had a rubber pointed end and solid shaft. The new one is brass and has a spring loaded shaft which is letting fuel passed.

I hope this helps you, Im still stripping the carb and adjusting float height trying to stop the fuel flood. might try to put a reducer on the pipe?

Any suggestions appreciated.

Andy.