Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

My new Z is junk !!

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2002, 09:56 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Took my new Z out today, bent the axle, tweaked the frame, got outrun by a Raptor, got out MXed by a C'dale..........NOT !!!
I absolutely had a ball on the Z-400. It is all the good things that I have read about in this and other forums!! I would HIGHLY recommend the Z-400 for anyone wanting a great sport quad. As for all the problems that others have had, sorry 'bout your luck, time will tell if mine will be trouble free. Jumped it numerous times {as many as I could stand}, no problems. Axle straight. I weigh 235 lbs. too. Frame looks as beefy as any I have seen, and a Raptor should outrun it with 260cc more. A C'dale oughta out MX anything for its price! For all you Z owners and folks considering one I just wanted to post my 2 cents about all I have read about the Z-400 and the comparisons and complaints now that I own one too. I don't wish for any offense to be taken by anyone about their quad as all quads are good fun. Haven't seen a quad yet that wasn't fun!!
And oh yes, I did whoop up on a couple of 400EXs. One with a 70 lb. lighter rider than myself! In case you could not tell, I love my new Z. Haven't stopped smiling since I brought it home!

Old 08-11-2002, 11:13 PM
Trailblazer

YEP! That Z is an awesome machine. We bought a Raptor and a Z400 a little over a month ago & I'll say that I think I like the Z400 better. There are times when I wish we'd have just bought two Zs. It doesn't really weigh that much less than the Raptor, but it FEELS a lot lighter. Definately more nimble on the trail. The Raptor hits a lot harder off the line, but the RPM range on the Z400 seems more manageable. I keep running out of trail before I can get the Raptor out of 3rd gear; not enough trail or too many horses, I haven't figured it out yet :-)

My wife rides the Z400 most of the time (its "her" bike), but we switch off once in a while, just to break things up. We both agree that the Z is definately a great trail machine. It MIGHT not be as quick as the Raptor (I'm still working on that theory), but in any race I'd bet you could bump the back tires of just about any stock Raptor on the trail with you.

Enjoy!

Old 08-11-2002, 11:18 PM
Pro Rider

With that first sentence you almost hath fury unleashed upon yourself on this board. Anyhow, 4 weeks with my Z, all balz out runnin' and no freakin' problems yet..... Although I did tear the crap'ola out of the stock plastic skids so I replace with FULL PROARMOR PROTECTION, NICE [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 08-11-2002, 11:25 PM
Pro Rider

Yeah, I knew that would get lots of looks for sure! But I count on the higher intelligence level of the folks on this forum to read the whole post and comment in the way I have grown to expect. This is the best technical and rider oriented forum that I have found so far.
Hey KNOWSALOT, did I do good in my choice of a new sport quad? I know you're out there somewhere.

Old 08-12-2002, 12:19 AM
Trailblazer

bobcatv8
Nice post! Great choice on the Z, I have owned mine for a couple of months now and still love it!!! I want another one, but time will tell. How about them trails in Ocala? Im born and raised in Merritt Island, the trails down there are a blast.
PD

Old 08-12-2002, 08:23 AM
Range Rover

I had a RAPTOR. After I rode aZ400,I sold that thing. The Z just feels more ...SPORTY.

Old 08-12-2002, 09:53 PM
Pro Rider

Man you hit it right on the head. MORE SPORTY is definately the way to describe it.

Old 08-12-2002, 10:06 PM
Pro Rider

More SPORTY = More BETTER!!! Sitting here on a Monday night counting down until the weekend ~ again. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 08-12-2002, 11:15 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks for all the good replies. Keep 'em coming.
Considered a Raptor because of my size but some folks I trust advised me to go with the Z. Glad to get some back-up on my choice,donavan. I also considered a 400ex but I just wanted something a little different as 400exs are plentiful around here. Never considered any of the other big sport quads as I am biased towards the Big 4 from Japan. Polarisdude, I feel very lucky to live in the Ocala National Forest area as the trails around here are fantastic. We have discovered a very good place to ride that has miles and miles of fast,flat and wide trails that are perfect for Z's,400exs,Raptors etc. Easy on the body of old guys like me too! Big Scrub is fun too but beats me up a little more than I like. Still love the Z, smiling as I post!

Old 08-12-2002, 11:36 PM
The Facility

bobcatv8,

I see that you are one happy camper....LOL

I had to check out this thread with that heading, it got my attention.

I love the Z400. It ranks 2nd on my favorite quad list. If I ran hare scrambles only....It would be hard for me to choose the Cannibal over the Z400 simply because the Z400 is a smoother ride and has a smoother powerband over the Cannibal as far as I'm concerned.

I race a little bit of everything, so the Cannibal was the best choice for me...ofcourse if I didn't race at all, it would be the Z400.

Congrats on your new ride. Keep us posted on future evaluations.

Keep 'er rubber side down.

KNOWSALOT

Quick Reply: My new Z is junk !!