Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

bike speedo on a qaud on ebay?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2003, 08:06 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default bike speedo on a qaud on ebay?

i sayb the product said it would work on a quadracer and sothen read the guys feedback and there was 20 negatives about the things and so i wondered can i go the the store and buy a bike speedo and put it on a quad?

Old 01-06-2003, 11:00 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

trail tech makes speedometer for ne quad i think... look in rocky moutnain or go to

http://www.trailtech.net[/L]

Old 01-07-2003, 05:28 AM
Weekend Warrior

The bike speedo on a quad is a pain to make work I know I tried. The magnetic pick-up for bike speedos are designed to be attached to the bike's small front fork, and even harder to make work on the Quad is the magnet that you need to mount on a front disk, no matter what I tried I couldn't get it to stay put for more than a few yards. Spend the 80 bucks on the trail tech speedo. The trail tech gives you a bolt that is magnetic which replaces one of your front disk rotor bolts and the pick-up is designed to mount on the steering knuckle. Better yet do what I did and get a GPS and a handlebar mount. Not only will the GPS give you your speed, you won't get lost which can happen in large riding areas like Glamis.

Old 01-07-2003, 07:30 AM
Pro Rider

well it sound like ill have to find a used trailtech speedo

Old 01-07-2003, 07:47 AM
Range Rover

Are they accurate,the trail tech speedometer?Does vibration affect the thing,like a bumpy trail.I bought a tachometer and everytime I would race at this one track(kind of bumpy) I would have to take the thing apart to reset it to get it to work again.Just wondering cuz Vito clocked me at the race's 3 year's ago at 65 mph and I know it's faster just like to know how much faster.

Old 01-08-2003, 11:43 AM
Range Rover

I put a trailtech speedo on my Suzuki LT250R with no problem. I actually bought it at Wal-Mart and it was made for a mountain bike for only $25 on clearance. I'm not sure Trailtech is the mfg on those speedos but it was the same thing with Panaram along the top of it. Anyway, it mounted fine in the middle of the handlebars. I had to extend the wire a few feet with a soldering iron. I mounted the magnet (any magent will do) on the backside of a lug bolt on the left front hub with Goop brand glue. I mounted the sensor on the metal brake guard and aligned the two up just right, again with Goop glue. I don't think they are ever coming off.

I've logged 175 miles on it so far with no problems. As far as accuracy, as long as you calibrate the unit properly with the circumfrance of the front wheel, they are accurate. I tested it along side my GPS and they read the same at 10 and at 40 MPH. It also has a nice feature of a maintanance icon for every X amount of miles. Good for oil changes and such.

I also put an old mountain bike speedo on my old Honda 200S with no problem. That was a little easier to mount because of a fork up front and it worked good. I mounted the magnet on the edge of the rim with Goop. It just takes some creative engineering to get it these speedos to work and make them last, but I think its worth it.

Old 01-08-2003, 12:16 PM
Pro Rider

well that sound like what im going to do exept ill use jb weld

Old 01-08-2003, 07:41 PM
Pro Rider

I REAPEAT DO NOT get the walmart trail tech its not the same... not as durable had one on my mtn bike and went though the creek and it never came back on again after it got wet... not as many features as the real trail tech. get a greal trail tech unless u feel like replacing it after it breaks...www.trailtech.net