Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Zilla and lt250r....Why the hell did they stop???

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2003, 01:07 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Zilla and lt250r....Why the hell did they stop???

Hey Matt I hear you and agree about the elevation change and required jetting and compression change needed to compensate for the increased elevation. It is not a fast or cut and dry procedure. Also no amount of compression, jetting change will EVER make up for high elevation. There will ALWAYS be a hp loss going from sea level to high elevation although turbos with fuel injection help alot.

I remember from my old college days the loss calculates to about 3.5% per 1000' increase in altitude(and that is with the engine jetted for the elevation).
5 x 3.5 = 17.5% (loss at 5000' elevation) = 17.5%of 75hp(mod lt500) = -13.12hp, wow, man that take the edge off acceleration and top speed!
Snowmobilers (mountain riders) learned about high altitude power loss a long time ago. How about 35% power loss at 10,000'?

But yes I did bring the few jets that I had, and 5000 feet is too much change for just a size or two bigger. (all I had)
An increase in elevation means less ambient air pressure so your compression needs to be bumped up accordingly and your jetting needs to be LEANER(smaller jets) because there is less air to mix with the fuel.

Hey RoostKing what do you do going from Glamis(sea level) to Walden (high elevation)?
Isn't Walden up to 7200' elevation?

jmho

Old 02-26-2003, 02:27 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

What everybody who wants to run well. Correct jetting for the elevation change...

Mr. 350 X, Hey, I think i came across a bit harsh. Your 500 does run good and wish I could have given you a rematch, because I do want to race some healthy 500's which by the way, his is! BUY IT!

RoostKing...

Old 02-26-2003, 03:37 PM
Trailblazer

RoostKing those pics of Walden look like a lot of fun. That little "lip" at the bottom of dead mans must make it hard to get any momentum for the hill climb.
Not a hill in sight down here in south Florida. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Do you change your domes when you go to Walden?
Do you run race fuel?

Old 02-26-2003, 04:08 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I actually have a stock head that has some work done to it. Its shaved about -.040 so i didnt need to run race gas. I have started running 50/50 with my new motor though, and have yet to have gone to Walden. Guess what, and this might shock you, but the Zilla is the BEST bike to have in an environment like that. Torque baby, for climbin them steep wet/heavy sand hills! Bet youd never hear me say that, but its true. Ive obviously had my banshee up there. Mix a steep incline, a 12 tooth sprocket, and a lightswitch powerband. That all adds up to flipping over backwards !!!! Its ok though since its sand.. Everybody who is anybody has done it once (Wyoduner??)LOL Back to my point. The Zilla just grunts up the hills, which makes that fun as well!!!! hopefully my stroker does a better job with its additional torque.

About Walden,
Those pics I have dont really do justice and there are some really nasty hills starting to develop, cant wait for Memorial day. As a side note. That is what Walden does best. Early summer/Memorial day weekend, when the creek has cut through the bottom of the hills. Ask Wyoduner, RZColoBanshee, and Disturbed. I have as much fun over that long vacation weekend as I do anywhere else over any weekend. We camp in the middle of a National forest, pitch tents(well not wyoduner, got me there LOL!) and ride 800 acres like were orbiting the earth once every 3 hours! Is what I mean is, the dunes are more like one big, sand hill with no peak, just jam from spot to spot. We party/ride under the moon, and talk smack. There are also tons of trails through the hills to check out.. If your ever in the area check it out.

Check out WyoDuners site, Dunereview.

Check out the pics. He has some of my pics, and a bunch of his own. He should still have a small video of my buddy Rob climbing out of dead mans in his Zilla. And a pic of him wheeling out. Cool site!

Later,

RoostkIng...

Old 02-26-2003, 04:56 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

i love how roostking picks on 500's...lol

Old 02-27-2003, 04:01 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Hey, the 500's picked on me in high school, now that ive had my ATV makeover from an 95 LT 250R to a Banshee, its time for me to pick on them!!!LOL

RoostKing...

Old 03-01-2003, 02:22 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I mean 85 LT 250 R!!!

RoostKing...