Trailers, Toy Haulers, Motorhomes. Discuss Trailering, Toy Haulers, Campers and Motorhomes.

What do you think about a horse trailer for quads???

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2004, 11:00 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What do you think about a horse trailer for quads???

I just went through my own new trailer thing. I have a 24' enlosed for my car. When looking at it from an ATV point of view the first 2 things to come to mind. (1) I can stick one in the nose of the box in front fo the car. (2)I have to pick it up and swing the tail around if I bring it back or if I bring it in the side door I have to slide, sideways, it up into the nose. In other words I figured out real fast that those 4 walls make it a little difficult to shuffle it around if I have to have it in a specific place in a specific orientation.

Soon there after I bought a second ATV and started looking for small utility trailers to haul them both around. Either both on a trailer or one in the truck bed and one on a trailer. I realy wanted trailer space for several atvs so that I could take friends with me and not have to have a caravan of trucks. After much shopping I was in the $800/900 range for a decent sized utility. In my case I also have some use for a open car trailer. I ended up going with a decent mid level 16' dual axle car trailer. 2' dove tail, electric brake on 1 axle, wood deck, ramps store under the back of the trailer, 15" wheels, stake pockets on the side, etc.... $1550 out the door. If I need atvs on it sideways, I drop ramps against the side and drive it on. If I just have a few to load I pull out the rear ramps and drive them on from the back. As for straping them down, easy as can be. I can run the straps right over the side to the frame. The stake pockets are also great points to tie down to.

Just my thought.

Not sure where you are in Ind. but I am in N Ky just accross the bridge from New Albany. If you need some trailer shop contacts down here let me know.

Brent

Old 09-17-2004, 12:28 PM
Pro Rider

First time we ever went to Little Sahara in Oklahoma we used my Father in Laws cattle trailer. When we came rolling in that night they almost laughed us out of the dunes. But if that is what I had to do to be able to go up there and ride then they could laugh at me forever.

Old 09-19-2004, 10:41 PM
Pro Rider

I measured the clear inside width not counting wheel wells of a Featherlite 5th wheel 4 horse slant load with living quarters and the width was 91 inches. This was Featherlites widest trailer for large Warmblood jumping, eventing, and dressage horses. This also did not include the manger/storage boxes on left side. So if anyone was serious about converting this large slant load horse trailer to quad use you would need to special order trailer without manger/storage boxes and without any rear inside partitions. Then if you built up a ramp system to get up and over the wheel wells you would have 91 inches clear inside width.
The widest stock Japanese sport quads are 450R (46.3"), YFZ450 (46.1"), Z400 (45.9"), 400EX (45.3"). And the KFX700 if you want to call it a sport quad is 47.0". All others are under 45". So many combinations of quad models would fit side by side if you go over wheel wells. I still believe this is way too expensive for anyone other than Bill Gates and I believe for that much money even he would find a better, more practical solution.

Old 09-21-2004, 12:57 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: 400PrarieXLT
I had this same idea, but the ones I looked at had double doors in the back and left a giant post in the middle. it could be fixed. Also they weighed a ton.
THat post is removable on some trailers. Or at least it is on ours.