Trailers, Toy Haulers, Motorhomes. Discuss Trailering, Toy Haulers, Campers and Motorhomes.

Boat trailer to AVT trailer, any advice?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2005, 06:55 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boat trailer to AVT trailer, any advice?

I am gettin a free 19foot boat trailer for free, all I have to do is get rid of the trashed boat that sits on it. The trailer is in great condition, just need a new tire on right side. My plan was to square off the front and make a 4 place, side loading trailer. the frame is flat unlike some boat trailers that are v shaped, so I should just have to set it up for plywood or something? any suggestions on what to put down for the avts to sit on? should the weight of 4 atvs be a problem?

The trailer is for an old ski boat.

Old 04-08-2005, 08:01 PM
Pro Rider

Be carfeful ... boat trailers are made for the weight on be mainly pass the rear wheels ... loading four atv's may over load the tonuge.

Old 04-08-2005, 11:15 PM
Pro Rider

Well I am going to shorten it up and remove some of the front as there is no need for a 6ft hitch in front of the trailer. As for the weight I will have to wait til I get the trailer and find out its capacity before I design anything. I was just wondering if anyone has done this, and how succesful it was, and what they used for the floor?

Old 04-09-2005, 12:21 AM
Pro Rider

The problem is this, you'll probably have to register the trailer. If you register it as a boat trailer, then get caught hauling atv's on it, it might not be very pretty. I'm sure it varies by state. We have a boat trailer that we converted to an atv trailer. Just got rid of boat mount and built a steel frame and layed plywood over it. Well now we can't get it licensed due to not being used for intended purpose. Now you can build your own trailer by getting a trailer builders application (or something similarily worded). Just don't tell them your starting w/ a boat trailer. Just strip it down to the tongue, bare frame and axle. You may want to go ahead and lop off the axle if you want to shorten it and recenter the axle. Photograph EVERYTHING. Once your done take app and photos in and your'e all done. Well that's how it's supposed to go in theory. The boat trailer we used (4x14 I believe) has it's axle just a little towards the rear. It's close enough to where it rides fine. Now if your'e going to change frame size, you might as well relocate the axle to it's optimal location. But it might just be easier to go get the application, build the frame you want the way you want and put the axle and tongue from the boat trailer on it. There was no way to put the floor low enough on the trailer with the way the frame is arranged orginially, in our trailer anyway. So the Bikes sit about 4" above the original frame and that doesn't do great for handling. Good luck w/ whatever you choose.

Old 04-09-2005, 12:27 AM
Pro Rider

Now what I'm currently working on is taking a basic trailer frame (6x8 two place, side by side). Using mesh grating for flooring, available at most hardware mega stores. Here's where the sweet part is. Find a totaled Toyota Camry or Chevy Prizm 98-2002 specifically (Now this may apply to several import car rear ends, I'm not sure). The rear spindle is a one piece assembly. It's held in by four bolts, has the entire bearing/shaft assembly and the flange w/ the lug studs. You can buy the whole thing brand new for 90-120 at auto parts stores. I was just going to bolt this up to the frame w/ a support. If I wanted to add brakes, just get all the orginal brake parts from the donor car and get a hydrualic surge actuator ($150-350 last time I checked) and now you've got decent brakes, and all the parts are available easy and cheap.

Old 04-09-2005, 10:55 AM
Pro Rider

The tires are centered on the main frame so they should be fine, over all they sit back because the tongue is so long. After I shorten the tongue the tires should be just right. The trailer itself is flat accross from side to side, not v shaped, so it looks like I should be able to just place the wood right accross the deck and be done. It is also a tilt frame so I might be able to incorperate this into the final design, not sure. I was planning on setting it up as a side loader, but if I can use the tilt setup I will.

Not sure about the getting it licensed, I don't think Illinois has specific registration for trailers? I will have to look into this!

Old 04-09-2005, 01:14 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Being retired is a hoot!

I have a couple of trailers I made from old boat trailers. Did basicly the same as you are thinking of. Be sure to check the wheel bearings as they have been exposed to a lot of abuse when being dipped in the lakes or, worse, salt water.

Licensing varies but you are wise to check on it ahead of time. In Washington it is easy to change the listed function of the trailer when transfering the title or just relicensing the unit.

Be sure to set the axle to allow some tongue weight on the tow vehicle or it will not trail properly.

Trending Topics

Old 04-09-2005, 06:15 PM
Pro Rider

I will keep the weight on the tongue in mind when I design it, thanks!