Trailers, Toy Haulers, Motorhomes. Discuss Trailering, Toy Haulers, Campers and Motorhomes.

Full timing in a toy hauler

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 12:53 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Full timing in a toy hauler

My wife and I live in our motorhome 8 months out of the year, we are selling it and now looking at a toy hauler to take our RZR with us. Our problem is that all of the rigs we have looked at are set up for a short stay and bult for 6 -12 people. We want one that cooks for 4, entertains for 6, and sleeps 2.
andy ideas out there?

Old 10-10-2007, 01:23 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Unfortunately many of the floorplans of the bigger 5th wheel toy haulers leave something to be desired somewhere. Mainly, I've noticed a lot of them have the entertainment center off to the side of the sofa and dinette.

Anyway, for full timing I'd look at the big new FLT-40 Warrior, the XLR 39x12 by Forest River, maybe the Alfa toyhouse... Komfort built a very nice 36' and 38' Karry-All 5th wheel, but I believe they have been discontinued.

You would probably be looking at a 4500 or 5500 series truck.

Old 10-10-2007, 01:39 PM
Range Rover

Thanks for the info, I will check these out.

Old 10-10-2007, 01:54 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

One of the disadvantages with toy haulers, though, is you have to break camp to take your toy somewhere. Also there are a few places where you can't ride an ATV from the campground to the trailhead.

Friends of mine just set up a couble slide 32' Cardinal tow trailer, and a pickup with one of the over the bed hauler racks. It works well for them, so they can do the monthly rate thing in a park and do daytrips to different riding areas.

Old 10-10-2007, 02:09 PM
Range Rover

This is something else we have been thinking about. We found the Bulldog ATV rack makes a unit that for Sidexsides and would work well this way.

Old 10-12-2007, 12:35 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

My friends went with a Monster Hauler rack, which is very solid and spreads the weight across the floor of the bed. I don't know how it would work with a side by side.

There was a tread on a diesel truck forum I belong to about diamond back covers (diamondbackcovers.com). They appear to put the weight on the side of the truck bed and are expensive, but the plus is that it opens in sections for easier access to storage underneath, and that it comes out in sections that one person can handle (whereas my friends use a shop hoist to remove the monster hauler).

Anyway, a flat bed truck and bumper pull would be an option, or if you have the money Freightliner makes a version of the M2 that has a garage with roll up door mounted between the cab and hitch area.

Out of curiosity, I was wondering why you chose not to just pull a trailer with the motorhome?

Old 10-13-2007, 11:52 AM
Range Rover

Sure JeffinTD
it is a matter of logistics and is the other option we are looking at. We have our MH up 4 sale right now, but it will handle the truck, RZR and trailier, so we are looking at a open trailer & ATV insert for the truck. It is not likely we will sell soon, so this is what I'm sure we will end up with. Thanks for the link to the Diamondback cover. There is a dealer here, so I will go check them out today. Like the fact I can take it off if I want without a fork lift. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 10-14-2007, 01:38 AM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: JeffinTD

My friends went with a Monster Hauler rack, which is very solid and spreads the weight across the floor of the bed. I don't know how it would work with a side by side.

There was a tread on a diesel truck forum I belong to about diamond back covers (diamondbackcovers.com). They appear to put the weight on the side of the truck bed and are expensive, but the plus is that it opens in sections for easier access to storage underneath, and that it comes out in sections that one person can handle (whereas my friends use a shop hoist to remove the monster hauler).

Anyway, a flat bed truck and bumper pull would be an option, or if you have the money Freightliner makes a version of the M2 that has a garage with roll up door mounted between the cab and hitch area.

Out of curiosity, I was wondering why you chose not to just pull a trailer with the motorhome?</end quote></div>
wow Im going to have to get one for my truck. so when i dont feel like pulling the my trailer I would be able to load them on my f350 thanks for the info