Trailers, Toy Haulers, Motorhomes. Discuss Trailering, Toy Haulers, Campers and Motorhomes.

Buying first toyhauler...

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2007, 10:49 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying first toyhauler...

Was looking at maybe 26-28 ft or so toy hauler to done some longer range quad trips with 2-4 people total. These toyhaulers that have a front bedroom(WW FS2600) and also the rear bed that goes up for quad storage. What is it like to use the front bedroom if sleeping in it for a night or two while on the road? How are the fumes and can you still get at everthing (kitchen, bath, etc.)? Or is it just not feasible to do this until you get to your destination and unload quads and set up as "camper". Can I even get 2-3 sport/utility quads in the their? Want to stay with a pull trailer as I need my truck bed/truck toolbox to be reaily accessible for work between trips, so wasn't thinking of a 5th wheel, even though truck pulling should be no prob. Also budget is probably around 20-25K, used?

Old 11-24-2007, 11:08 PM
Range Rover

steveio, my cousin has a Starcraft Travel Star toy hauler, where the toys are hauled on a "patio" on the outside, which holds 2 ATVs-no mess or odors from the ATVs ever enter the camper. It has all the bells and whistles, and seems like the ideal thing to have. He hauls it with a Silverado 1500 HD with no problem at all. Check it out at starcraftrv.com and I believe you click on the Travel Star link.

Old 11-28-2007, 01:09 AM
Range Rover

Steveio: I have a 30' WW FS and I can tell you the front bedroom is very comfortable. No problem sleeping and moving around the entry/ kitchen and bathroom area at all. I have slept a few times with my buggy loaded and it was fine... well for me alone anyway. The wife may not have been to impressed. The fumes will not be an issue as long as your toys don't leak, but in my case I did sleep after hauling and then reloaded the car. You could probably even have four with the lower bunk down with quads in (it should still high enough down) but your guest would have to crawl over the toys to get to the bunk. As far as fitting the quads, just measure. You can find the cargo dimensions on most Mfg's websites.

Lastly, I paid 28K my WW 30 new in 05 with a bunch of added goodies. I did work the deal pretty hard, but you should have no problem finding a pristine trailer in that range. Unless the guy was an impulse buyer and they saw him coming. Those guys need top dollar to get out.

Good luck with whatever you do!

Old 11-28-2007, 11:26 PM
Trailblazer

Faster250R, that was a model I had been looking at, looks nice, or the same in the 28' FS. When you said "but in my case I did sleep after hauling and then reloaded the car" Are you saying you take the quads out for the night to sleep? What I was hoping for is to be able to stop in a rest area/campground during travel and sleep in the front bedroom while loaded. While still being able to use the bath, stove, etc., as I'm having touble visualizing how far forward the 3-4 quads will be into the "living" area? I'm planning on hitting an RV show this winter to see better, but for now have just been searching online.

Old 11-29-2007, 04:21 AM
Range Rover

Yes, while loaded you can freely move around the kitchen, bath and front bedroom.... no problem. For what you are saying it would work fine. Once I get to my destination I don't load my toys at night. That's because I like the extra room in the trailer and I usually have my family with me so loading up at night is not practical. I only pull my car in if I am by myself and there is a bad wind storm or if I am leaving first light.

In the part you qouted me on I was talking about the gas smell. I think if you don't fill the tanks on your bikes and run the gas out of the carb before loading you will be fine and not have any gas odors. Oh yeah, and leave the gas cans in the truck bed.

You are doing the right thing.... shop! I looked at every detail of all manufacturers, how the layouts would fit my needs and took my time. That's how I got a smokin deal as well. Once you have made your decision on make and model don't just talk to one dealer. Make them work for your business! Get quotes, compare and start beating on them. The RV guys are getting pretty hungry and you should be able to find a great deal.

Old 12-03-2007, 10:17 PM
Trailblazer

Now I got ya. I don't plan to reload quads each night either. Just use it to sleep for maybe a night or two while on the way to riding area, which sounds like should be no problem. There's a couple RV shows comign my way this winter so I'm going to hit em hard and narrow it down to a few models, then work price and hopefully get something. Thanks again for the info.

Old 12-04-2007, 10:08 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 167 Likes on 166 Posts

Good idea on the rv show. Get an idea of what you want, then go to one of the dealers that was at the show. (if possible)

Look at the models they have in stock, see if they have all the options you wanted, then remind them they have new models coming in. May get a good deal on a new hauler, just not the newest.

Also, look for trade ins after a show. Got mine used. Guy bought it, had it for 3 months and decided he wanted something bigger. Saved 5k over what the same model would have cost new.

Only thing wrong with mine was it looked like they had kids, and they drew on the linoleum floor with some type of crayon. I don't think they took it out more than 2 or 3 times.

I liked saving the money.

Old 12-05-2007, 09:26 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Absolutely go to an RV show, and bring your digital camera. Start photos of each unit with a shot of what it is, since they will run together.

Those things loose massive value in the first couple of years. This being your first toy hauler, I'd go used, since you will likely learn from this one what floor plan and options you really want. If you buy new, and trade in a couple of years, you would really take a beating.

Lastly, K-Z makes a few tow trailers with seperate garage, which might be nice since you are thinking about sleeping in it w/o unloading. They are large, though, but you mentioned having plenty of truck...

Old 04-07-2008, 04:55 PM
Trailblazer

Take a look at these. I just bought one last weekend. Nice for up to 4 adults or 2 adults and some kids. Under your budget even new.

http://www.rvusa.com/rvinventory_item.asp?id=403773