Trailers, Toy Haulers, Motorhomes. Discuss Trailering, Toy Haulers, Campers and Motorhomes.

scary saturday

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 07:39 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default scary saturday

so i went riding saturday morning and later that day one the way home i was talking about how engines blow up and right when i made a blowing up noise(POP)the left 3rd axle tire blows out on my triple axle trailer,so i look down at my tach to see if i actually blew my engine or what ,then right after that i look into the drivers side mirror and i see smoke billowing out of the wheel well and i sigh like oh thank god,because if is was my motor that would be 25,000+that i dont have........the tire exploded because that single tire WAS a recap(remade from the same tire but new tread) can u say lawsuit?

Old 07-30-2008, 09:48 PM
no1
Trailblazer
Default scary saturday

A lot of my friends drive rigs and they all hate the recaps because they do tend to pop or tear apart. I dont think you would get to far with a lawsuit. I have been told that some recap manufactures will actually refund you 10 dolars if your tire fails and you provide them with the pieces. 10 bucks if you run out into traffic to get the pieces lol.

Old 07-30-2008, 10:03 PM
Range Rover
Default scary saturday

recaps arent supposed to be on the trailers only on the rear axles of the semis

Old 07-31-2008, 09:26 PM
no1
Trailblazer
Default scary saturday

I am not a driver so recaps on the rear of the truck only makes sence. Is the reason the tire let go because it was on the trailer? Was the tri axle your toy hauler or a old flat bed? I could see how it would suck if it was the toy hauler.

Old 08-02-2008, 05:39 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default scary saturday

So you are thinking the trailer came new with a recap? How did you determine it was a recap?

Old 08-03-2008, 03:06 PM
Range Rover
Default scary saturday

yes it was my toy hauler....and recaps do not have steel belts in the tire.

Old 08-03-2008, 07:31 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default scary saturday

I had one fly apart on my toyhauler. I heard it go and saw the pieces fly. I pulled over right away, but by then all that was left on the wheel was 2 sidewalls.

It wasn't a recap, but if I recall correctly were nylon belted, as many trailer tires are (especially bias ply).

I noticed it had a bit more rounded profile when I was in the tire shop shortly before it blew to get another tire with a nail hole patched. The tire guy said he thought it was OK, but in retrospect I think it had broken cord/belting inside.

I don't think it takes much of a hit to damage trailer tires, and also since I've been running them at Max PSI (per the tire mfg's website) I haven't had another one let go.

From talking to other RV owners, and reading forms, sometimes trailer tires seem to explode for no apparent reason.

Anyway, glad you survived without damage or injury.

Old 08-04-2008, 01:11 AM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default scary saturday

At least the tongue didn't break off the frame like my brother's rusty old trailer. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] That's why I don't like buying used.

Old 08-04-2008, 09:44 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 164 Likes on 163 Posts
Default scary saturday

Blew 3 of the 4 that came on our hauler. (not all at once)

Well, the first one I picked a nail up and it went flat very quickly. Replaced it, and the next time out, one on the other side blew at 70mph. Shredded the tire, but worse, left black marks down the trailer. 3 months later, other side does the same thing.

The tires I replaced them with are doing well, took that 4th one off and it's the spare. For now.

Old 08-04-2008, 03:36 PM
Pro Rider
Default scary saturday

on semi's it's illegal to have recaps on the steer axle but they are legal everywhere else even on the trailer. most blowouts are because of running them on low air pressure . they get hot and the rubber melts and fails. running them on low pressure "hurts" the steel ply even after you put it up to the right pressure the steel belts are "hurt" and it's just a matter of time

Quick Reply: scary saturday