Trailers, Toy Haulers, Motorhomes. Discuss Trailering, Toy Haulers, Campers and Motorhomes.

Does anyone treat wood on trailers?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2009, 07:50 PM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used Thompsons on my deck too. Didn't last a month. I got 10 years on my treated deck, but replaced it with marine plywood a couple years ago. WIth the anti slip paint, it has lasted two seasons now. May need to touch it up next spring, but that isn't bad. Less than $20 bucks and a can of anti slip paint.

Old 11-06-2009, 02:20 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Dragginbutt
Hey D-Viper. Did you see that H&H has pulled their website? I sure hope they didn't close their doors.

H&H as a company has been disolved, and this one had nothing to do with the economy. H&H was profitable and had trailer orders backed up for several months in advance. One brother (H) had a major disagreement with the other brother (H), so H&H no longer exist. That is a shame because they had built the best quality trailers on the market.

DV

Old 11-06-2009, 10:52 PM
Pro Rider
Started riding ATVs in 1974!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use linseed oil on all my exterior wood. It is not pretty, but I have a heavily used car carrier with a deck that is 15 years old and still solid. I clean it every fall before winter and re-oil it. Not slick once is soaks in.

Old 11-07-2009, 05:10 PM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.

D-viper. H&H has shut down all of it's operations. (Bankrupt). My snowmobile trailer deck was 3/4 plywood (Pressure treated). The first deck lasted 18 years. I still have two pieces of the original deck on the trailer. The only reason I replaced the deck was that my son had used my trailer to haul a couple engines on it, and "dropped" one as he was loading it. It almost went through the deck. So I had to replace it. It was getting soft from oil etc anyway. I admit, until I replaced it, I had not done any maintenence. After doing the work (not bad actually) to replace it, I didn't wait long before I had sealed the top, bottom and sides. I highly recommend putting something on it top and bottom. It is a couple hundred busk of well spent insurance against premature failure. Wood it a good deck material, but you have to do preventative maint on it. The time to do it is before you have trouble, not after it has already showed up. Unless of course you would rather be spending your dollars and time replacing decking when you could be out there doing something more enjoyable. It is one of those pay me now, or pay me later deals. Only the later you wait it usually costs a lot more in the end.

Old 11-17-2009, 11:57 AM
Range Rover

Valspar makes a paint with sand in it have used it on my
last two trailers last great and no slipping on it,its sold at
lowes,great stuff!

Old 12-15-2009, 10:11 PM
Trailblazer

Well I guess Im cheap. I wait for a hot day and spread my used motor oil on my wood trailer bed. Do it every 5-7 years, not sure if its environmenatlly sound but couldn't be any worse than chemicals in other products. Has held up well for over 10 years.

Old 12-15-2009, 10:43 PM
Pro Rider

I might not be as cheap as dugger, But when I was water sealing my deck... well I just carried the can out to the trailer.. that was 2 years ago and will prob hit it again next year when I do the deck again

Old 02-25-2010, 05:04 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default wood treatment

best to do it on a hot day ,but like motor oil .paint it on with a brush over my cement driveway so don't call the epa .and clean up any drips. plywood last 10 to 12 years before i'm concerned about wood strenth .and not always treated good stuff .