Trucks and Towing, All Makes and Models. Discussion on all makes and models of trucks and towing.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ford Crew cabs w/7.3 Diesel

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2004, 10:03 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ford Crew cabs w/7.3 Diesel

Mr. Tommy,it's a 2 day drive from Nevada (2 long days, but easy with no kids).

Whitewater, the site is http://www.quads.ca . From the home page, click on the "Discussion Forums" link. Then, click on the "General Topics" (sorry, I told you "trips and events" before, but it's been moved from there). About 3/4 of the way down the list of topics is one called "Canucklehead's atv moving skills", dated March 21/04. Click on that topic. There are photos of the truck, trailer and 4 quads on the deck, on page 1 of this topic. On page 2 of the same topic, there are photos of just the truck with 4 quads on the deck, but I've strapped them on a little different, because 2 are bigger quads than the other photo. We still pull the trailer with the bigger 4 quads on there though.

Let me know if that works.

Old 06-20-2004, 10:42 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Whitewater, in answer to your question "what do I haul?", I put a picture of my 'set' in my pictures area. I was nabbing a "Geocache" at the "Hunter" exit just west of Elko, NV at the time. Oh, and I usually make my wife ride in the number two spot, so SHE eats the dust, not me. Ha. Actually, she volunteers to ride second spot. That way when we get lost, it's ALWAYS my fault...

Confusedbuyer, I'm still getting used to our new "Adventure Train" trailer setup. It doesn't pull the same as my 'work train' and I'm not sure I really like it. But other options are few, so I just may have to grin and bear it. I really hate to spend four days of vacation driving when we can go somewhere nearby in a few hours, be set up, and having a martini, all in less than a day. This is another roadblock to our going to the ATV Jamboree in Utah.

Old 06-20-2004, 01:31 PM
Pro Rider

Okay, now you REALLY need to see my set-up so you can see a different option to your trailer train.My previous post gave easy directions to find a pic. The deck is 100% aluminum. My wife and I can easily load it. Did it myself once with sawhorses. You'd easily fit 2 quads on this deck, plus you've got lots of storage in your truck box for spare tires, riding gear, etc...

I hear ya, 4 days of travel does suck, unless you're going for a minimum of 2 weeks, preferrably more.

Old 06-20-2004, 05:24 PM
Quad Patrol

BlackandRed, Yes, you will need to get a doubles endorsement. If you get the Ca. Commercial Driver Handbook, you will need to study sections 2,5,6 and 7. Basicaly you will need to take a written test and a test to show you can back up a truck/trailer. One of the test is parallel parking into a space 10 feet wider then the length of your combination. The double endorsement is a written portion of the test. No road way driving with doubles. Lt. Dan

Old 06-20-2004, 05:32 PM
Quad Patrol

Confused, I have a similiar set up as yours with the rack in the back of the truck, Looks like you have a 8 foot bed to give you the added room on the back for the extra quads. On mine, it's a 6 foot bed with just enough room for 2 full size quads. And yes, it does give you a lot of room underneath for generator, firewood and additional camping gear.

Old 06-20-2004, 08:01 PM
Pro Rider

I'm 8' wide and 9'6" long with a hinged beavertail.

Old 06-21-2004, 10:07 AM
Pro Rider

Confusedbuyer, I followed your instructions and checked out your photos. Nice setup. I've seen variations on that before. Having a dualy really helps in situations like that. I gave fleeting thought to a 'drive-up' deal that would load from the side, but our utility bed top sits almost eye level and the steepness of that approach was just too scary. Our "Adventure Train" setup will be just fine - ha. I don't know HOW you get all four of those quads up there, with some standing. You deserve some kind of award.

Old 06-21-2004, 11:30 AM
Pro Rider

Confused,
Nice truck!! I have friends with the same set-up. It works well with a dually.

MrTommy,
When you said pull triples, you really meant it. My Dad and Bro are truck trivers (but, not a life for me).

Old 06-22-2004, 10:14 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have a 2002 Ford f350 w/ 7.3. (not stock) crew cab, long box with a 6" lift. I love it! I pull anything you can think of. In summer i pull a 30 ft 5th wheel camper with a 2 place snowmobile trailer with 2 four wheelers behind it, Or a 40 ft enclosed trailer where i pull a race car or snowmobiles, or atvs and dirt bikes. I pull my race car some times 900 miles to montana and i still get go gas mileage. I think it a investment.

Old 06-23-2004, 03:02 AM
Pro Rider

hey, are you sure you aren't the same person as mudisntjustforboys? But in that post you had a 2003 Powerstroke with a 6" lift, now it's a 2002 with a 3" lift. And you had a 26' enclosed trailer, but now it's 40'.....amazing what happens if you keep adding water to them things!!Is your's a dually? If you own all those toys, sleds, race cars,quads, trailers, then i think you should change your name to everymansdreamgirl, or, 2good2Btru!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

we need way more women like you! Oh, and if you are the same person, I meant to comment on your previous signature.. "always wear clean underwear because you never know when they'll be cut off by the paramedics"..

Now I wear 'em clean just cuz it's the sanitary thing to do, but the way i see it, if the paramedics are cutting them off of me, there's an excellent chance I'll have just filled them.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Ford Crew cabs w/7.3 Diesel