Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Who should be the Lead Quad???

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2004, 02:02 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who should be the Lead Quad???

Okay when you are going the most rough and technical terrain who should be lead quad, to set the example for others?

1. Should it be the most experienced and skilled rider even though they may not have the biggest most capable quad?

2. Should it be the person on the biggest and most powerful machine because they have the ability to get through some of the stuff the smaller less powered quads may not?

3. Should it the person on the smallest quad because if they get stuck it’s somewhat easier for others to pull out the lighter quad?

Old 09-02-2004, 08:50 AM
Trailblazer

Got to go with number one. Definitely don't want the least experienced rider going through the roughest stuff just because they have the biggest quad.

Old 09-02-2004, 09:08 AM
Pro Rider
Sound advice there. "Hey, watch this........"
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go with choice #1. An experienced rider on an average quad will do better than an inexperienced rider on the biggest and baddest quad ever made. Besides, if the lead rider gets stuck in a mud hole, you can bring up the bigger quad to pull him out.

Getting through a tough technical trail is as much or more about choosing the right line than it is having the biggest ATV.

Jaybee

Old 09-02-2004, 09:50 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

#4. The person that knows the way.

Most people tend to take a different line while riding. The only time I really learn from the person in front of me is when they do something wrong. Then I think to myself, not going to go that way or do that.

If there are enough riders, then I'd put the less experienced in the middle.

Old 09-04-2004, 02:54 PM
Pro Rider

Hi I must agree with coytechaser I can not tell you how many times I have watched the person in front of me choose the wrong line and get bogged down .....So I guess Let the person who knows the area decide who goes first in each questionable situation....I guess that is in line with choice #1

Old 09-04-2004, 03:08 PM
Pro Rider

Most experince 1st

Old 09-04-2004, 11:44 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I usually go first. Unless I'm second. Or sometimes even last.

I actually like to ride in the back so I can watch everyone else go through the mud. Until we get on a dusty road. Then I try to get up front.

Old 09-05-2004, 01:00 PM
Pro Rider

The most disliked person should go first, then if his machine is damaged there will be fewer people sad about it.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] No, I don't know about making some hard and fast rule over who goes first. Usually on a ride one person will say "I'll give it a try" and away they go. You'd have to just use common sense and assess each situation as you come to it.

Old 09-05-2004, 01:48 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Out in open country where riders will get strung out for a long distance (because you don't want to eat everybody's dust), we put the most experienced rider who is on the most reliable machine, in the BACK to "sweep trail" for anybody who might get stopped because of a problem. The LEADER could be any experienced rider who knows the trail.

In tight technical stuff where the riders are going to be bunched up, the most experienced rider LEADS, so the less experienced can take a lesson from the line he picked. And again, you want a capable rider in the BACK to sweep for any straglers.