Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

winch cable vs. winch rope

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2005, 04:39 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Being retired is a hoot!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default winch cable vs. winch rope

Originally posted by: PGRSV
damguy: Yep, you are exactly right. I was thinking of that just this week. Putting some kind of a pulley on so the angle isn't as sharp. Like you said, the cable breaking is about the only issue with the plow/winch set up. I just got done with my plowing (9 inches) and everything went well. Let me know if you come up with an idea for using a pulley. I'll do the same. Thanks for all the info guys, hope I can return the favor someday.
PGRSV

Go back up the thread about 7 posts to my last post. This system works really well. The pully has a bearing in it and is big enough to avoid kinking the cable. I would guess the system has over 80 hours of usage and their is no sign of damage on the cable as yet.

I had tried a smaller pully block system prior to this with poor results.

Old 12-12-2005, 05:21 PM
Pro Rider

Hey guys, we got a little more snow, and I used my plow a bit more.

The rope angle on the synthetic rope with the billet fairlead isn't that bad at all. Here is a picture: linky.

I got the kit off ebay, but the name milled on the fairlead is CSEOFFROAD.COM .

Old 12-15-2005, 01:19 AM
Weekend Warrior

You will definitely shortin the life of your cable, even with a roller fairlead. Use a rope, you don't have to by one of the manufactures "plow winch ropes". Any good quality poly rope, of the appropriate size, you can get at Wal-Mart will do just fine. It's also easier on your mounts (plow & winch) when you raise the blade up all the way to where it "tops out", you won't overstress your mounts since the rope has give to it.

Old 12-15-2005, 03:38 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: fbc72
You will definitely shortin the life of your cable, even with a roller fairlead. Use a rope, you don't have to by one of the manufactures "plow winch ropes". Any good quality poly rope, of the appropriate size, you can get at Wal-Mart will do just fine. It's also easier on your mounts (plow & winch) when you raise the blade up all the way to where it "tops out", you won't overstress your mounts since the rope has give to it.
Just don't use a regular rope to try to winch yourself out.

Old 12-12-2007, 08:02 PM
Weekend Warrior

IdahoVinnie thanks for the idea, after using my winch for about 1 week I broke my cable. Then I put on an amsteel plow lift line and it broke within an hour of use. I replaced the line with a 2" strap attached as you said and it has worked well for about a week and counting. Great idea thanks for solution!

Old 12-13-2007, 12:17 AM
Trailblazer

I don't think i'll break the line but it is getting frayed because of letting it out too far and then overlapping.

Old 12-13-2007, 05:40 PM
Weekend Warrior

My neighbor has a 660 and is constantly breaking his line. You can do as he does and just shorten it with cable clamps or you can try the strap like I did. Strap is holding great, just came in from plowing a fresh six inches out of my rather large drive and I think it works better than a cable or rope.

Old 12-20-2007, 03:12 AM
Pro Rider

Tyler 711 I looked at the picture of your fairlead. On my warn winch it is wound from the bottom. Your winch is wound from the top. If it is wound from the top the pull angle to a plow is nearly nonexistant. If it is wound from the bottom it is about 150 degrees. Why cant a person reverse the pull on a winch while you are plowing to save wear on the cable/rope?

Old 12-30-2008, 10:30 AM
Trailblazer
Default winch cable vs. winch rope"></title><script src=

PGRSV

I plow with a 3/16 cable and break it at least 3 times a year I have tried the u bolt thing the nuts come lose or the roller fairlead break them the swaging is the best way to go I think I paid about 40bucks at home Depot and the sleeves are like 2 bucks a pack use a metal cutting disk on earthier a circler saw or grinder to cut cable and make sute the cable is in perfect shape where you cut it not flatten or fryad