Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

big utility atv s

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2000, 12:40 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Madcat:
Hey, good luck with the decision, there are several to choose from. Looks like you've done your homework though, and for a utility machine, I think it will be hard to beat the 500 'Cat. As for insight, what were you thinking about? Any particular questions? If there is anything you are concerned about, I'd suggest heading to the AC forum. There are a ton of great guys over there who would be more than happy to give other advice and suggestions, as well as fill in parts I may forget.

I don't think I can say enough good about the 500 'Cats, they are a pure work horse. So, about the negatives, you may be interested. Myself, I really don't see many downfalls of the machine itself. For my particular needs though, I carry a lot of weight up front (in excess of 100 lbs. at all times) so my front end sagged a bit. Stronger shocks would fix this, but as of yet, nobody makes them. I fixed that problem by making a set of spring spacers. This not only stiffened up the front end enough to handle the weight I carry without sagging, but also increased my ground clearance substantially. And, as I carry the weight all the time, I can't tell a difference with the spacers compared to my dads stock machine with no weight, as far as the smooth ride goes. The spacers seem to compensate well for the added weight, keeping the suspension smooth, without jarring your teeth.

One thing a few guys have mentioned is the steering can be a little difficult at times. I didn't notice that until I installed my 27" Bi Claws up front, with Tri Claws in the rear. Because of the added heigth compared to stock, and the massive lugs, there is less rubber on the ground, which translates to easier steering. I must say that my 'Cat with the 'Claws steers MUCH easier than my dads stock 'Cat.

Oh, another note about the spacers, I also added a set to the rear, which now allows me to carry even heavier weights back there. Keep in mind though that while it will increase the carrying capacity of the machine, the machine itself is not rated for that added difference, and should you do so, it is at your own risk.

If you plan to add a winch-which I'd highly recommend- the AC lineup has a great winch mounting location. It's well protected, but also easy to get to and operate. Since I mentioned the 'Claws, you may be interested in the fact that the AC's have excellent fender clearance for taller tires. 27" meats fit fine stock with no lift or spacers. You could probably even stuff a 28" without any problem, there is tons of room under there. Should you go with wider rears, and a 27" heigth, they might rub on the heat shield for the muffler. Again, my spacers solved that problem as well.

One other thing to mention that you didn't in your post is the rack capacities. AC has the highest rated capacities of anything on the market at 300 lbs. combined. That is pretty good for a work machine. Sums up to a lot of emergency gear, recovery equipment and camping gear, or a several sacks of feed and concrete as well.

Well, I'm kind of drawing a blank now, so I hope I've covered at least a few things to think about before purchasing. Honestly, I'm a little biased towards the 'Cat. I've seen a lot of other brands in action, and basically, I really think you'll have a tough time beating the 'Cat in working abilities, and as an all around great machine.

Best of luck!

Mike

Old 12-28-2000, 01:19 PM
Trailblazer

I would be carefull using spacers to "increase weight capacity. The only thing spacers do is raise the ride height. To actually increase the load rating of the springs, you have to change springs.

Old 12-28-2000, 03:12 PM
Pro Rider

Boss70:
Sorry about my wording there, you are correct about that. To truelly increase the weight carrying capacity of the springs, you would need to replace with a stiffer spring from the factory. These are currently not available for the 'Cats though, so I was at a loss. From the 100+ pounds I carry up front at all times, I had a sagging front end. I needed the ground clearance back, so I installed the spacers. Not only did it increase the clearance, but it also increased the machines ability to handle the weight-it rides better with them in, more stabile now.

Mike

Old 01-10-2001, 12:16 PM
Trailblazer

Even though I, personally, chose to buy two 2001 Polaris Sportsman HO's for myself and the wife, based on the criteria you cited, I would recommend the AC500 (either auto or manual). In fact, I would have chosen the torque monster myself had it offered the same ride as the Sportsman. I would put the AC500 against any other quad if you are looking at utility... that is their greatest strength. The drawback in buying a tank is that it rides like one... great for work, but hard on the body when it comes time for play. The Sportsman was, in my opinion, the best choice for an all-around machine.

As far as awards, they are a dime a dozen and magazine writers are hardly objective, and judge the atv's poorly. The best advice you will get is this; determine your specific needs/wants, ride all the atv's that meet those needs and wants (trust me, the list will be longer than you think), then make a decision about which atv is best... for you! Try to look beyond the engine size... you might be surprised to find that a 300 might do everything you need. Good luck!!!

Old 01-10-2001, 12:21 PM
Trailblazer

As far as "the shorter rider," my wife is 5'2" and I am 6'2" and we both find the Sportsman to be the most comfortable. We both test rode the Rubicon, Prairie 400, AC500 Auto, and Sporstman HO. Damn Yamaha dealer wouldn't let us ride the Grizzly...