Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Winch - Cable vs Synthetic Rope

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2008, 01:37 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winch - Cable vs Synthetic Rope

I am really glad that you have done all of this testing for me......lol. I have been reading as much as I can about this synthetic rope. I am tired of the cuts and pokes from the frayed cable. Thanks everyone.

Old 10-26-2008, 12:17 PM
Trailblazer

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: BurtonIndie8

ive had my steel cable snap atleast 3 or 4 times and i got a lil like 6 foot synthentic cable for winter to plow never broke the whole season</end quote></div>

When you put the short synthetic plow cable on the winch, did you have to unspool the whole winch and then attach the short plow lift cable or does the plow lift cable somehow attach to the cable? If so, how is that accomplished? If you do have to unspool the entire cable and then reattach the plow strap or any cable for that matter, is it difficult? Do you have to remove the winch from the ATV? I would hope not as that sounds like a real pain in the butt. I apologize for the newb questions but I just picked up my new ATV yesterday and am trying to decide what winch to put on there. I am planning on buying a plow setup to use as well, so plowing will likely be what the winch is primarily used for. So thanks in advance for your help.

Old 02-17-2009, 04:59 AM
Weekend Warrior

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: JeffinTD

You might also have to replace the rollers. I think the Warn kit comes with them. I presume once they are roughed up by the steel cable, the rollers are less than optimal for synthetic?</end quote></div>

Yeah, an aluminum hawse fairlead will do.