Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

stock or not in WI

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2000, 10:46 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just heard that you haft to have a stock pipe& silencer. does anyone know if this is true
thanks
lipp
99 sc 400 rcr ful-mod

Old 06-09-2000, 01:47 AM
Pro Rider

I assume you mean to ride legally, do you have to have a stock pipe and silencer. The answer to that question is, no. You do however have to have a USFS approved spark arrestor.

Old 06-09-2000, 12:56 PM
Pro Rider

In answer to your question, on a snowmobile yes, most definitely. Last year the Wisconsin DNR fined every snowmobiler they could find a min imum of $150 for non standard pipes. They had even set up road blocks to check your sled.

Now, it is only a matter of time before they start the same thing with the four wheelers.

At the risk of inflaming the sport crowd, why would you want a loud pipe on your machine?

There are enough environmental whacko,s out there who hate us already. Why would you want to agitate them even more?

Also, why add an audible signature to your exact location at all times?

Old 06-09-2000, 08:22 PM
Trailblazer

Lately noise has become a bigger issue in Wisconsin, especially in the Southwest corner of the state. ATVs are required, by state law, to have a USFS approved spark arrestor, but the law says nothing about stock. A couple of counties, Lafayette being one of them, have ordinaces requiring the use of stock exhaust systems. The trails around Darlington are the major area of enforcement. I was stopped on the trail and given a lecture by the local law enforcement, since my 250R has an aftermarket exhaust system. In all of the other areas of the state, as long as you aren't excessively loud, it isn't an issue, even if you don't have a spark arrestor. The best thing to do is keep the rpm's down when around other people, and keep your exhaust as queit as possible.

Old 06-10-2000, 08:15 AM
Range Rover

This arguement has been discussed before and it got nowhere.

The sport riders (like me) with the aftermarket exhaust like the way it sounds as well as the performance advantages. If you use common sense and ride EASY when around people as was mentioned, it is not a big deal. If you act foolishly when near towns and people, you will be asking for trouble. I have been riding all over Wisconsin for the last 16 years (every machine having aftermarket exhaust) and have never been harassed.

An arguement could also be made by those who ask why the need to look for mud, streams, rock hills etc only to see if the ATV could get stuck. I have seen many deep mud holes created by ATV's only to play in, this in the mind of others is more destruction than aftermarket exhaust. Again common sense goes a long way.