Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

ATV License to Operate - It's Coming

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2005, 04:35 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ATV License to Operate - It's Coming

Yes, I agree Dave.

Like I started to cover in my earlier post, training, however boring and "stupid" to veteran ATV riders it might be, is a good start to help with the problem. It gives the appearance to lawmakers that a problem is acknowledged, and that there is an attempt to resolve the problem.

I wish the "police ourselves" things worked in reality too, but in reality, you will be telling Bubba, a 300 lb. 6 ft 4 inch guy to stop riding like an idiot. You are going to get b!tchslapped yourself, and I doubt the DNR is going to be helping you pay medical bills.

To those of you opposed to the training idea, I respect your viewpoint. What would be a better solution (besides the aforementioned "policing ourselves") to stop the out of control riders from ruining our sport for everybody? I am ALL up for hearing about a better option...

Old 05-15-2005, 02:03 PM
Weekend Warrior

TextI'm kind of curious how the ATV community feels about these considerations. Do they make sense? Will they have a impact on the issues of safety and enviromental impact? Will the required education change riders’ behavior to slow the trail closure rate or improve the opportunity for more trail systems?

Of course it makes sense, "Punish All" for the actions of a few!!!
All it will do is drive more riders out of state to go riding,taking thier money with them, as already happens in many other states.
If places like WV & a few others can operate extremely successful ATV trail systems without operator licensing, or even ATV registration, then why can't the rest? Sounds like another case of economical rape, another why to collect money & give back NOTHING, Much the same as NY is considering, cutting trails & quadrupalling registration fees. Now theres a tourist attractant for you.
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]

Old 05-15-2005, 03:35 PM
Trailblazer

It's hard for me to believe that anything regulatory, that requires spot enforcement, will be any deterrent to reckless or destructive behavior. In the end, if this happens, it will simply be another form of taxation on a subgroup without a powerful lobby. This is a good example of why people need to join organizations that promote activities they enjoy and can advocate and serve as watchdogs. NRA, CCA, state hunting groups and atv associations.

Mike Hill

Old 05-17-2005, 12:20 AM
Weekend Warrior

Wyoming has a strange way of looking at atv usage. The state was in the process of making a test specifically for an atv drivers license endorsment. But, it cost too much to produce the study booklets, so now we have to take a motorcycle test(which has nothing at all to do with riding a 4 wheeler)but it is resticted to only atvs if you don't have a motorcycle to take a riding test. You also have to license and insure the atv to ride it on any city, county, or state road along with a headlight, tail lights, mirrors, and a horn. We also pay a $15 orv permit fee (OK by me if it is used like it is supposed to be and helps develop new trails) along with snowmachines. But for some reason, I don't ever see motorcycles on the same trails with these stickers. The best part is, some of the places we ride, you have to have a street legal atv to get between trails that require orv permits.
Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't trade riding here for anywhere else. We rode 40 miles in the Bear Lodge Mountains yesterday, and only saw 2 other atvs and maybe a half dozen cars. We do what we have to do to be able to ride in places like this.
I do think a well written, atv specific, exam and riding test would be OK if it was written and given by someone who had a clue how to ride a 4 wheeler. Or better yet, take a safety course- get a license.