Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Question about taking a Polaris RZR to Hatfield McCoy

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2007, 12:59 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about taking a Polaris RZR to Hatfield McCoy

On the web page, they say that ALL SxS's are only able to ride on the GREEn trails. With the RZR being at the legal limit of 50".....any idea if I will get yelled at by the DNR Rangers if the catch me on a BLUE tral??

Any other advice for a Newbe to the Hatfield McCoy trals??

Thanks

Old 06-22-2007, 03:27 PM
2TV
Pro Rider

That vehicle falls into a gray area in my interpretation of their rules. It does not meet their definition of an ATV nor is it on their specific list of allowed UTVs, but then again it is not greater than 50" in width.

I would recommend that you call the toll free number (on their trailsheaven website) and ask the H/M trail authority directly. I would call them rather than use their message board since someone else has asked that question on their message board and as of yet have not received a reply.

As for advice on riding the trails, with six independent systems now there are probably three or maybe even four levels of average difficulty to be experienced. Now I have not experienced their newest system (Indian Ridge) myself yet but I would rate them as follows based upon personal experience and what I've heard from others (from easiest on average to hardest on average):

1. Little Coal River, Pinnacle Creek
2. Indian Ridge (mostly easy, but I understand there is a very steep blue trail (T24), steeper than blues typically are).
3. Browning Fork, Buffalo Mountain
4. Dingess Rum

Be sure someone in your group is carrying a tow strap, air compressor and tire patch kits. Remember that all trails (there may be or may have been once upon a time one exception on a black trail at Dingess Rum) are TWO WAY so be sure to ride at a level where you can avoid oncoming traffic at any point (be especially careful going around corners).

There are many places, especially on black and even some blue trails where trails are barely wide enough for just one ATV (and this is likely the reason for the 50" limit maximum). Also there are many places where you are dealing with a trail edge that you do not want to get off of (because it's a long way down!).

Black trails are to be given respect (and some, particularly on the more difficult systems) should be avoided. They have eaten a lot of quads, since a mishap on one of those trails usually involves a long damaging roll.

Also take note that the rangers are out on the trails, inspecting permits and enforcing the rules to a higher degree than they have in the past. Fines for each offense have been increased too (with this increase $100 comes back to H/M where they didn't get any of it before)...

Old 06-22-2007, 05:06 PM
Pro Rider

WOW!! Thanks for the extreemly thourough report.

I have tried calling them 4 or 5 times and no one answers.......it just rings....no machine either. I have sent them e-mails and have had no response.

I will be traveling from Ohio, the rest of the guys live in Indiana. It is going to be a long haul to have to sit on the sight seeing trails while the rest of the guys do the rest.

I know that the RZR is capable of doing most of these trails, but I don't want to have to bring extra money for fines!!

The only downside to the RZR on some of the more difficult off camber trails would be that "Body English" would be removed from the equasion....leaving it up to the balance and capabilities of the machine....aka independant suspension.

If anyone is from that area that could ask a DNR officer, I would appraciate it.

GregV

Old 06-22-2007, 06:00 PM
2TV
Pro Rider

I'll post the question on the Quadcrew forum too, I know H/M regularly reads that plus many of it's members are frequent fliers down there and know people who should have the answers...

Old 06-25-2007, 08:17 AM
Pro Rider

Thanks, please let me know if you hear anything soon.

We are planning on heading out this Friday ( the weekend before the 4th. of July ).

Old 06-25-2007, 11:49 AM
Pro Rider

I just got the official Word from the Hatfield McCoy people that the RZR is approved for use on the trails there.

I asked specifically about the BLUE trails and the said YES!!

All the other SxS's are restricted to the GREEN trails.

I didn't ask them about the Black trails.....I'm not interested in them at this point.

So, good news to us RZR owners!!!

Old 06-25-2007, 12:06 PM
2TV
Pro Rider

Very good! I had not received a reply back yet but was expecting one soon...