Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Has anyone had trouble taking out the screws holding the float chambers and throttle valve cover? Screw head stripping!

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2003, 08:44 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has anyone had trouble taking out the screws holding the float chambers and throttle valve cover? Screw head stripping!

i seem to be stripping the heads of most of them. i find that the phillips head screw is very easy to strip. has anyone had this trouble and does anyone have any tips on how to take out a stripped screw?

Old 08-17-2003, 08:54 PM
Pro Rider
Default Has anyone had trouble taking out the screws holding the float chambers and throttle valve cover? Screw head stripping!

You can use a dremel and cut a big slot and use a flat head to get them out, or drill the head off the screw and use vise grips to get the rest out. I replaced all the phillips head screw with allen head bolts from home depot! Just take one of yours there and match it up with something better. cost me like a buck to replace them.

Old 08-17-2003, 09:07 PM
Pro Rider

put the screw driver on the screw........then give it a good tap with a hammer.......it will losen it b4 you strip it.......

Old 08-17-2003, 09:54 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by: BigScary
put the screw driver on the screw........then give it a good tap with a hammer.......it will losen it b4 you strip it.......
Yep and use a screwdriver that's in new condition. Old phillips screwdrivers belong in the garbage.

Old 08-17-2003, 11:12 PM
Pro Rider

before you go strippin anymore make sure that the phillips head fits FIRMLY and snuggly into the screw, i did the same thing with my air box lid screws. i found a smalller better fitting screwdriver and really pressed down on them, i got em out then

Old 08-17-2003, 11:45 PM
Trailblazer

Had the same problem...those screws are the worst! Try some small vice grips to break the screw loose they should also work if the head is already shot.