Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Rap Exhaust - 14Mins, Velocity, Airraptor, Raptor720, Zombie

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2003, 11:04 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rap Exhaust - 14Mins, Velocity, Airraptor, Raptor720, Zombie

Originally posted by: CaptBags
Does any one have the Alba pipe kit? I saw that the pipe, jets and, proflow setup is about the same price as other (just ) pipe systems. Any reason why the other Companies are so much more?

What about HMF, their pipe seems cool for the price and, I can get the spark arrestor w/ it for less that other silencers.

What gives? Are these the K-Mart equivalent of pipes or, are they just as good for a good price?
the alba system is priced very well......I have a friend that runs this system.....if you aren't into all out drag racing or anything, I think it would be a good system for you......it has a huge improvement over stock.....but I do think that there are better pipes out there........

Old 08-29-2003, 11:21 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Freez
BigScary.

Since you seem to indicate the Dirtwheels test are wrong, what proof have you got that your Sparks system is the best. O. I know, it’s the best since you have it on your bike. Just for interest sake, lets forget the tests dirtwheels have done on the pipes. Go to CT Racing’s web site and amazingly they also found the pipe to deliver 49 HP. Then go to yoshi’s web site. And AMAZING yet again they also found 46 HP. Both the suppliers and Dirtwheel agree about the end results.

What does sparks web site say they got out of the raptor? I find it strange that they don't post their dyno results. The only dyno graph I could find was in dirtwheels. The pipe is not bad but it produces the 7th highest HP output. Where they go wrong is their airbox mod and jetting recomendations.

I am not a fan of running the airbox without a lid. But the open box gives you the best power.There are some mods one can do to make the airbox flow much better with the lid in place.

1st, cut out the restrictions in the rubber snorkel. But don’t remove it.
2nd Where the air enters the airbox (oval “pipes” in the lid) you will see the pipes reduce in size from the front of the lid to the end of the pipes. So, cut the sides out of the “pipes”. Not the whole pipe, leave the centre support bit and some plastic on the bottom of the pipe. This will increase the amount of air that can flow true the openings, plus when water enters the airbox it will run along the pipe and most of it will drop behind the filter, preventing water entering the air intake. Don't cut the whole pipe out as it will not increase the amount of air intake. The sides ONLY.This alone helps the raptor breath better. When you rev it, you can actually hear the differance it makes. The motor sounds better plus it delivers more power.
3rd. Install an aftermarket airfilter.
4th. If you need more airflow, then start cutting some nice holes at the back of the airbox lid. As far away from the filter as possible. Again to help prevent water entering the air intake.

You might have to jet the raptor to get the best results.

BigBubba
Pro Rider
Hickville, Oregon

Thu February 06, 2003 1:26 AM

CT pipe = Ugly, overrated, false claims, rigged reviews, over priced, and ya....any other pipe is just as good performance wise (or better) and they all look better. Just my opinion because of everything I've read and seen about the CT pipe. Not trying to start a flame, it's just my opinion so get over it.

-----------------------

TheRaptorMan
Pro Rider
Liberty, West Virginia

Fri February 07, 2003 8:50 AM

LOL lets get all mad about what pipe other people are using

Here was my experience with pipes....
I Called CT ordered a pipe waited a month and it still hadn't shipped (I was buying a CT based on the DW article at the time.) I got tired of waiting called up Trinity and flat asked "why should I buy your pipe over a CT when DW says its the best."

The respone that I received was the reason I now have a trinity pipe on my bike.... "The DW article was BS and will most like have to have a rebutle in an upcoming article. If you want to buy a CT then buy it but if not then I'll send you down a Trinity, and if you dont like it in 30days send it back." I liked that answer and instaled my new Trinity pipe. Called them back with some jetting questions and received good helpful answers. I have been extreamly happy with my bikes performance.

Good luck on your choice, and hope you enjoy whatever pipe you get.

-------------------------

BigBubba
Pro Rider
Hickville, Oregon

Fri February 07, 2003 1:14 PM

CTraptor: The Graydon pipe is the same thing as the CT.

JustDragItBitch: I've never been beat by another Raptor unless they have dipped into the engine. I had an e-series full before and still never got beat.

I think its sooo lame that they have to rig a dyno test to get people to buy there pipes! Also everyone complains about their service! I've never heard complaints about there performance but who complains about an average of 10 hp from any pipe made and who complains about something they spend $500 on? I've heard lots of complaints about how hard it is to put on and how badly it fits together though.

I am not trying to say that CT is a bad pipe......but there are better ones out there......and I feel that my sparks pipe is one of them.......

I raced a guy (Wednesday night)that had an 01 rappy (better gears for racing!) and he had the same mods as me.....except he has a graydon pipe (same as CT) and he had a bigger web cam....and I have a stage one hot cam.......
I beat him through the gears and top end......?
that's proof enough for me.......(he weighed about 5lbs less than the guy on my bike.....)

sorry guys I'm wasn't tryin to write a book......

Old 08-29-2003, 12:37 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Not that i really care but one thought has been in my mind for a long, long time about the shoot out. Since they were all full systems and looking at all that were there...

WHY DID DIRTWHEELS NOT run all the set-ups the same?? I am not looking at the article but why not remove the lid, jet the carbs to 170-175 and then strap the quad to the dyno. Run pipe a, unbolt and put on pipe b, run it and then install pice c. The jetting should have been close on all the pipes if they did the rest the same. That would have been a better test than some with the lid, some without. Some with the snockle and some with out.

Due to the way dirtwheels ran it there was no way for ct to fail.

Old 08-29-2003, 12:52 PM
Pro Rider

Man this is a BRUTAL decision... Some how i just can't pull the trigger.

I've been reading every post and, nothing is helping really.. I wish i lived closer to a place to hear more of the pipes (everyone i ride w/ has a Banshee or, Z400). Which ones aren't overly loud? I guess i better make the decision by that. I can't run a super loud pipe at the dunes so i think i will find the best priced in combo w/ one that has a nice sound. Any opinions on that?

Also are all jet kits the same? Do they all come w/ a good array of sizes for tuning? Is one a better deal than another?

Old 08-29-2003, 01:02 PM
Pro Rider

from what I hear MBRP has a very quiet system

Old 08-29-2003, 03:35 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Is mbrp is quite compared to alot of the others. The sound is deep and mellow.

Old 08-29-2003, 06:42 PM
Pro Rider

is it spark arrested? how close are there recommended jet settings?? I hate to have to guess my self. This is to much work!!!

Thankfully I have you guys and, your expirience to help.. Can't imagine what i'd do w/o your help.. THANKS AGAIN!

Old 08-29-2003, 09:48 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Capbags- yes. The answer on the jetting depends on your air intake system and altitude.