Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Advice on yammy extended warrenty

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2003, 05:51 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice on yammy extended warrenty

Well, the factory 6mo warrenty is about to run out on me on the 24th of this month and Ive got a chance to buy the 3 yr extended warrenty for $570. Is this a wise thing to get with a 2003 Raptor?? I put on average 15-20 hours/month on the thing, and ride it easy-moderately hard, I dont do a whole lot of actual racing with it. How many hours are the 660s good for if they are taken care of, how long does the tranny go b4 it dies?? Its just a lot of money to spend that I could put towards a 686 if the factory set up would be good for about 2-2 1/2 years which is how long I would need it too last then.... Do they have issues with people putting aftermarket exhausts etc on and then not wanting to stay true on the warrenty, trying to blame it on something that you added to it..... any info or experiences you all could add would be great!!

Old 10-15-2003, 05:54 PM
Pro Rider

Mine's paid for itself.

~HoundDog

Old 10-15-2003, 07:05 PM
Pro Rider

$570 for a 3 year warrenty is too much, I paid $450 for a 3 year right when my warrenty was about to run out like yours. Shop around for the warrenty, you dont have to get it at the dealership you bought the bike from....also dont hesitate to dicker with them, when I first called the dealership that I got my raptor from they quoted me $575 for the 3 year warrenty so I called around to several dealerships within about a 300 mile radius and found one that went as low as $490, I then called back to the dealership that I bought my bike from and told them of my lowest offer and they came back and offered me the 3 year warrenty for $450.....so I took it then. As far as if they will honor work once you modify it that is depending on the dealership, where I got mine they said if they perform the work then it would still be covered under the warrenty. All I plan on doing is pipe, jet, and filer so it was not a real big deal to me. Why I bought the warrenty is because of the stories of tranny failures in the past with the raptor and also with the starters going out on them, my dealership told me that they would cover this at no cost to me. So far the dealership has proven themself to be good for their word.

If you can get a good deal on a 3 year warrenty I would say get it as long as your dealership will honor the work, just ask around to some of their previous customers and see how they have been in the past. Hope this helps some[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 10-16-2003, 12:43 AM
Pro Rider

I bought the extended warranty. I have had mine for a year 4 months and no problems. So i would probablt not get it if i had to do it again.

Old 10-16-2003, 03:14 AM
Pro Rider

I would ride my 01 rap a lot harder had i bot the ext wty, but i didnt. tranny problems were unknown at the time. If you are gonna mod it a bunch, then dont waste yer money, theyll blame it on mods. If youre close to stock it may be a good deal.

Old 10-16-2003, 05:35 AM
Pro Rider

Shop around. I paid about that much for my warranty, but I got 5 years instead of 3. I believe it's through McGraw Insurance.

Old 10-16-2003, 09:28 AM
Pro Rider

I personally wouldn't get it on a Raptor unless you can get it for cost.

I got it on the Grizzly simply because of all the problems I read about it, and being a first year model. I got a 2 year for about 280 I think

Old 10-16-2003, 08:27 PM
Range Rover

So with the 2003, I shouldnt run into any problems that I couldnt just fix myself, or wouldnt be covered like clutches etc.... I do plan on putting a full mbrp exhaust, intake.... and well thats it. How reliable are the raptors, I just dont know, I would hate to put that kinda money into something and not see anything for it ya know??