Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

The truth about reeds and reed cages!

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2004, 01:22 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The truth about reeds and reed cages!

Tell you what, I'll settle it. Monday morning I will order a set of the G-3's and let you all know what I think.

Once again, my point isn't whether or not there is a power increase as much as whether I double my jet size.

Ernie, do you run his intakes also? Should I get them as well?

Hiram, I have a set of V-forces that aren't being used right now. Would you like to try them and get this parts swapping started? I think they are a big improvement even over ported stock. PM me if interested.

Old 01-30-2004, 01:42 PM
Pro Rider

ill have a report for everyone monday night too

Old 01-30-2004, 11:18 PM
Pro Rider

AlkyBurninX, sorry I could not have respond sooner to you. No I am not running 1 DIR Racings intakes. I am using the origanals that came with the T-Rex mono block. They are not dead center of the reed cage, so I was worried about the air flow not being the same as if I used his intake boots. I sent William pictures if what I was using and he gave me a suggestion on where to open the intake boot to help the reeds work like they are suppose to. Well it worked great.

I would stick with your stock ones and see how they work first.

Old 01-31-2004, 02:17 PM
Pro Rider

I am running cast aluminum intakes that have reed stuffers. THe sufffers had to be cut off to run the V-force, and I port matched them to the VV-force intakes. I don't think there will be enough metal to port them out to meet the G-3s so I will order the cages also.

Old 02-09-2004, 02:23 PM
Pro Rider

I bought them off of ebay last monday and he is shipping them out today. I will let everyone know what I think of them. Right now it is a little cold here, so I will probably wait until it warms up to do a comparison.

Old 02-09-2004, 03:00 PM
Pro Rider

Same here, I installed the reeds yesterday and went from a 150 to a 170 and down on my needle, I dont have any jets higher than this and I am gonna have to go way higher. This friday I'm going to a friends house who has them over 200, so I will let you know what I end up with.

Old 02-09-2004, 03:54 PM
Pro Rider

Sounds great let us know what you end up with and if you gain any performance!

Old 02-14-2004, 01:08 AM
Pro Rider

Ok guys, got the reeds and torque spacer in - I will be dialing it in tomorrow so I'll let you know what happens :-)

I dropped my clip down on my needle tonight and got my 1/4 to 3/4 dialed in.
I also have a 170(from 155) main I'm running lean on, pilot is too low too or maybe some dirt in it. But I cracked this thing open on our gravel road and oh man!!What a night and day difference!! It was a blast opening it up...this thing revs way way quicker and accelerates a lot faster than before...thats all I can really say right now. I only took it for 3 or 4 spins cuz I didnt want it lean too long I'll have a better review on Sunday night. The road I was riding on was gravel had melted slush and snow patches all over so a lot of the time I'd spin, grip for awhile, spin etc etc etc

I'll post again when I get my main and pilot dialed it and I find a blacktop road I can get better traction on

Oh yeah, and the throttle response in awesome in 1/4 to 3/4

Old 02-14-2004, 10:59 AM
Pro Rider

Thats good to here pimp250r, your main sounds like it my be a little lean. I would try a 200 and go from there.
I fired up mine last night just to here it rev to the moon just with a quick push with the throttle.

I love the way my Banshee responds with those G3's

Old 02-14-2004, 11:16 AM
Pro Rider

yeah, you could pound thru the gears a heck of a lot quicker with the g3's in.

Quick Reply: The truth about reeds and reed cages!