Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

AV GAS ??? Need some help!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2004, 02:10 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AV GAS ??? Need some help!!

Just had my Banshee motor built. (porting, head work , etc.) The builder recommended that I run AV GAS. He told me to stay around 100 octane with some KLOTZ octane boost added. I just called the airport, they told me they sell 100/130 octane. (not both 100 and 130 ) the fuel is called 100/130. Anyway, what is 100/130 AV GAS? I am confused as to whether it is 100 octane or 130 octane or just what! I hope this is what I can run! All your input is appreciated!!!! Help a rookie out. Thank you.

Old 02-03-2004, 04:06 PM
Pro Rider

Instead of buying all that AV gas and adding octane why don't you just spend the extra money on spacific race gas? you can get it in many different forms. 98 octane without lead, 100 octane with lead, and 110 octane with lead. Those race gasses cost around 4-5 dollars a gallon and so far work just as good as AV gas and prolly better. I used to run AV gas in my Warrior and it ran good but I never heard of 100/130, it was just 100 octane with lead and without coloring (looked just like water). The race gas is colored according to whats in it and such. The airport stopped selling me AV gas a while ago cause of a new policy that they can't fill cans anymore. It's something with the whole law that you can't use it on the roads.

Old 02-03-2004, 04:41 PM
Weekend Warrior

I would not run av fuel becauce it has high altitude adatives in it
which I have heard arent go for the motor. Thats only what I have
heard and my opinion.

Old 02-03-2004, 08:18 PM
Pro Rider

A guy down the road ran av gas through his banshee, now his pistons are siezed up real tight.
i wouldn't recomend it.

Old 02-03-2004, 09:17 PM
Pro Rider

It doesnt hurt the engine to run av-gas in them. Airplane engines are built the same way ATV, Vehicle, and etc engines are built. AV-Gas would not be the reason for a sieze or breakdown of any sort.

Old 02-03-2004, 09:27 PM
Pro Rider

For reference, there was a good discussion on AV gas within the last week or two on the Bomb forum.

Old 02-03-2004, 11:15 PM
Pro Rider

Here it is straight from Duncan Racing, the worlds most winning ATV race team ever -

"Using the proper race gas in your hi-performance 2-Stroke ATV will give your engine considerable reliability over pump gas or aviation fuel. Some of the positive benefits include; a cooler more consistent burn, jetting consistency, decreased preignition/detonation, decreased operating temperature, less power loss after engine reaches peak temperature, improved lubrication.

DR likes to use this example when discussing race fuel. If you were a serious athlete would you eat junk food for maximum performance? No. You would not. Do not ask your engine to make additional power and then feed it poor quality fuel. It just doesn’t make sense.

DR recommends using a race fuel with motor octane rating from 105 to 112. An excellent choice for most applications is VP C-12 or TRICK Leaded (blue/aguq)."

VP has the largest selection of race fuels that I know of. If you call them up and tell them your application and needs they will be able to tell you the best fuel for your engine. They can ship you anything from a 5-gallon can to a 55-gallon drum. The only drawback is the price, some of the "normal" race fuel runs $3-4 a gallon, but the best stuff is around $9 a gallon. Good luck!

RR1

Old 02-04-2004, 10:26 AM
Pro Rider

I'm sure duncan has riders best intrest in mind but the FAA also has pilots and passenger in mind . LL101 is what you need to look for it's called low lead but is actually quit high in lead . FAA usually samples fuel tanks for contaminats . It sell in our area for just over 2.oo a gallon . Ive used it in a polaris 707 triple thats spins 11,000 RPMs with NO problems . I have no problem with race fuels I think there great they can just get a little expensive but thats the nature of the beast . If you want to haul a$$ youve got to spend cash . Just make sure you watch your jetting MAIN and PILOT and check your plug often until your sure of it

Old 02-05-2004, 01:00 AM
Pro Rider

Try this thread there are some good posts.

http://forums.atvconnection.com/mess...hreadid=378936