Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Banshee clutch

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2000, 05:22 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Was wondering what the differances where with the different aftermarket clutch kits are for the banshee? The most common one I have seen has been the barrnet, but how is the EBC, the toomey, and the duncan clutch? If anyone can tell me the differances it would be appreciated greatly. Also would like to hear opinions on which works best.

Thanks
David Chapman

Old 07-09-2000, 07:47 PM
Pro Rider

First, get rid of the cheap stock clutch basket and install a Hinson billet basket. The stock pot metal basket gets notches worn into the ears which cause a grabby clutch action. Any reputable aftermarket clutch kit will work good. some even add an extra friction plate. I have a Duncan clutch kit in mine and it works good. Not as quiet as stock though, as I get a rattle noise at idle only. Was told h/d clutches do that though. If your motor is hopped up, then you definately need a better clutch.

Old 07-10-2000, 06:59 PM
Pro Rider

Scott:

I just put a Barnett clutch in and noticed that my Banshee still wants to move forward even when I have the clutch pulled all the way in.

It is not a hard forward pull, but just enough to notice it.

Is this normal?

Old 07-12-2000, 01:23 AM
Range Rover

Get out your service manual and adjust it exactly as it says. This is a common problem. I went so far as to adjust the rachet mechanism at the shift star. You need to take the clutch basket off to do it, but it is worth it. I would definately recommmend the Hinson basket, they are tough to beat. The reason there is a rattle is that you remove the rubber rings that are part of the stocker. I have a Barnett and it to has a rattle. I don't worry about it, it is not going to blow up or anything. I have though heard things about the kevlar in some clutches but have yet to see evidence of any problems, EBC or Barnett, those are my recommendations. Toomey's are probably made by one of those two anyways.

Old 07-12-2000, 01:51 AM
Pro Rider

Rob, I'd have to agree with veeshman. Go through all the possible adjustments as per the manual. Adjusting the rachet mechanism @ the shift star also helped mine. Do you have the right free play at the lever? This is one of the main sources of problems. When you put your clutch kit in, did you inspect the clutch basket ears for notches? I'd bet you the basket was basically trash. You really should get a Hinson basket and be done with this problem. Lotta bucks, but it's worth it and is a permanent fix. Good luck...you'll get it worked out.

Old 07-12-2000, 01:52 AM
Pro Rider

Rob, I'd have to agree with veeshman. Go through all the possible adjustments as per the manual. Adjusting the rachet mechanism @ the shift star also helped mine. Do you have the right free play at the lever? This is one of the main sources of problems. When you put your clutch kit in, did you inspect the clutch basket ears for notches? I'd bet you the basket was basically trash. You really should get a Hinson basket and be done with this problem. Lotta bucks, but it's worth it and is a permanent fix. Good luck...you'll get it worked out.

Old 07-12-2000, 11:27 AM
Pro Rider

Scott,

I checked tha manual and have made all of the correct adjustments. The free play is right, etc.

The basket looked fine. As I said before, the quad just pulls a little bit when the lever is all the way in. Will this create problems down the road or cause the clutch to wear out prematurely? What is the problem with it?

Old 07-12-2000, 01:30 PM
Trailblazer

you may also want to try adjsuting the clutch using the center adjusting bolt on the basket, what is probably ahppenig is youre not pulling the clutch apart enough to disengage the plates fully. Make sure you have a little freeplay (1/4") or so, and adjust it with side cover off to viusally see that everything is disengaging. With the clutch pulled it, you should be able to wiggle that plates a little.

Old 07-13-2000, 12:20 AM
Range Rover

That's the ticket, if you adjusted everything according to the book, and your clutch basket is fine (it probably is notched), then it should work fine. You need to take the clutch out of the basket to inspect the basket, for a non-permanent fix, you could file the ears smooth, this will work for a while, while you save up the 200 big ones for the Hinson, factory concepts also has a basket at a fraction of the cost of the hinson, might give that a try. But first adjust it at the center bolt at the clutch, be sure to apply a little pressure at the clutch arm and line up the arrow on the case with the arrow on the arm, this is important, and should solve your problem as long as your basket is fine. later
eric