Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Raptor...play in steering...

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2004 | 11:24 PM
|
Pro Rider
Default Raptor...play in steering...

Have any other Rappy owners noticed a small amount of play in the steering??? When holding the wheels straight, I can move the handlebars and feel a bit of play. I noticed the same thing on a friends Rappy, and wondered if this is normal on all Rappy's, or is it something that can be corrected???

I checked all the nuts and bolts and everything is tight. Steering stem is straight. Tie Rods are OK. I've raced like this for almost a year without any problems, but just wanted to know if theres a remedy....Thanx......

Old 04-23-2004 | 11:46 PM
Pro Rider

I noticed after I clipped a tree and went flying but none before that. That was the only time Ive noticed any.....

Old 04-23-2004 | 11:51 PM
|
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: KILLERCUDA
I noticed after I clipped a tree and went flying but none before that. That was the only time Ive noticed any.....
I've rolled mine several times, so maybe thats where it came from. Its not a major deal, but since I'm wrenching on the quad, I thought I'd ask for any thoughts or advise.....[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 04-24-2004 | 12:00 AM
Trailblazer

I had problems with loose steering when the bike was about a year old. Exact same symptoms you mention.

I thought it was bad tie rod ends. It turned out it was the nut on the bottom end of the steering stem. No matter what I did, that thing came loose.

The OEM nut is about 1/4 of an inch thick and has room to loosen before contacting the lock pin that keeps it from falling off.

I got a fairly thick washer and a Castle nut from a specialty nut and bolt place, the castle nut is probly 5/8" tall.

With the washer and taller castle nut, and after wrenching the living sh*t out of everything the locking pin fits perfectly into the slots in the castle nut. Can't come loose. No probs since.

Check yours, and let us know if thats it..

Old 04-24-2004 | 01:30 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Carnivore
I had problems with loose steering when the bike was about a year old. Exact same symptoms you mention.

I thought it was bad tie rod ends. It turned out it was the nut on the bottom end of the steering stem. No matter what I did, that thing came loose.

The OEM nut is about 1/4 of an inch thick and has room to loosen before contacting the lock pin that keeps it from falling off.

I got a fairly thick washer and a Castle nut from a specialty nut and bolt place, the castle nut is probly 5/8" tall.

With the washer and taller castle nut, and after wrenching the living sh*t out of everything the locking pin fits perfectly into the slots in the castle nut. Can't come loose. No probs since.

Check yours, and let us know if thats it..

I had the same problem on mine i just tighten the nut back up
whenever i notice it. im gonna try finding a castle nut like you mentioned.