Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Hard to find Neutral on my warrior :(

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2004, 10:52 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hard to find Neutral on my warrior :(

Hey guys. I have an 03 warrior. Lately i've been having problems finding neutral. It only happens when the engine is hot. If i shut of the engine, it acts normal. When it acts up it will shift from 2nd to 1st and skip over neutral. It's really annoying, cause i have to kill the engine to find neutral. Also, i was at a dealer that had a brand new 03 warrior. i guess it was old stock or something, anyway I noticed that the clutch lever was MUCH easier to pull than mine is. Is this an adjustment, or a sign that somethin is wrong. Any ideas...I know my way around an engine, but an hesitant to do trans work. I'm sure i could handle a clutch replacement, but have never done one. Thanks for any help you can give!

Tim

Old 08-21-2004, 11:49 PM
Pro Rider

Well i have some good news all the warrior`s clutch perch after a few uses gets hard the best thing you can do use lube the clutch cable and you should notice a difference. The neutral thing its normal on all warrior`s aswell the trick is to accelerate while you are trying to shif into neutral its all getting used to.

There is no need to search further its normal on all warriors and in all years mine does it constantly just lube the cable once in a while and practice shifting to neutral. Hope this helps.

BajaRunner

Old 08-21-2004, 11:58 PM
Weekend Warrior

not to doubt you, but I have had my warrior for about a year. The neutral thing is definitily a new development. it used to definitily click into neutral. Now, i have to watch the light to see if it's there, and give it some gas. Sometimes, the light is on and it's still in gear. I have a feeling something is up. I guess i could take it in and see what they say. Anyone else have anything to say? Thanks for the good news about the clutch! Has anyone installed a hydraulic clutch? I found a company that has one online..any opinoins on that...pros/cons??

Old 08-22-2004, 01:38 AM
Weekend Warrior

Mine does it too. It happens to all the warrior's. It's just something we have gotten accustomed too.

Old 08-22-2004, 02:44 AM
Pro Rider

yep same with me. Mine is an 04 and after the engine is hot it is hard to get into neutral. Like he said put it in neutral while your moving

Old 08-22-2004, 02:47 AM
Pro Rider

Can you adjust the clutch cable on a Warrior? If so, you need to take up a little slack. Adjust the cable so there is a dime's width of free play between the clutch lever and the clutch perch. If Neutral is hard to find, the clutch is not totally disengaging.

Old 08-22-2004, 03:15 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I used to have a 2001 Warrior and also this has happened to my Raptor as well. If you havent changed the oil in sometime this will cause it and also if your not using Yamalube this will also cause it.

JM 2 cents worth. But have fixed alot of these same identical problems from just an oil change and be sure to use Yamalube. I have tried other engine oils and nothing is not even close to the shifting than Yamalube.

Old 08-22-2004, 03:40 AM
2TV
Pro Rider

Like Ubetrun said it’s most likely that your clutch is not completely disengaged. Over time your clutch cable will stretch a little and all you have to do to compensate is to turn out the clutch cable adjustment bolt so you have less slack in the cable. Before you do it pull the clutch lever in just enough to take up the slack (where you start to feel resistance) and note the space between the back of the lever and the clutch lever perch. As you turn the adjustment bolt out it should pull the lever out and the gap between the back of the lever and the perch will get smaller. Keep turning until this gap is very slight (approximately a dime’s width as previously stated). I’ve had the same situation with motorcycles and that is all that was needed to correct the problem.

Keeping your cable lubed helps too, because when the cable pulling resistance increases the more the cable will stretch as you pull in the lever (and as a result there is slightly less movement at the clutch because of the extra cable stretching, perhaps just enough to keep the clutch from completely disengaging which will make neutral harder to “hit”)...

Old 08-22-2004, 10:19 AM
Weekend Warrior

Hey Everyone...thanks for the replies. I'll try adjusting the clutch like ya said. The oil is changed every 20 - 30 hrs of use with yamalube...ALWAYS [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img].

Tim