Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Yamaha Buyers Beware you could be buying an expencive lawn ornament

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2004, 12:33 AM
"One Wheel Short"
slow day around the orafice I see!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yamaha Buyers Beware you could be buying an expencive lawn ornament

Let me go on a bit further...Gums is upset that a full crate engine is not available. Gums is upset that he has to pay to get the engine fixed in either parts, or parts and labor. I deal with situations like this all week long, as I work for a Yamaha dealer in the parts department. The options are this 1) continue to have a lawn ornament. 2) find a used engine, and not know its past. 3)pay someone to rebuild your current engine, 4) rebuild the engine yourself and enjoy the fruits of your labor. Like I said in my post from work, I did not mean to upset Gums, but if you truely enjoy the hobby that you chose, repair your machine and get back on it and enjoy!

As far as a new crate engine, you will not see one totally complete until the 660 is long past. Bill

Old 09-08-2004, 12:33 AM
Pro Rider

People are kinda harsh on this forum....specifically the Yama forum. I guess a lot are sticking up for Yamaha because the way you first posted it. It kinda was attacking Yamaha.....Lotta loyals on here you know. But, there is some good info on here if you can overlook all the kiddy crap. I questioned if there was water involved in the failure, I said that because a majority of engine failures, (utes) can be contributed to water in the motor or oil failure.

But......Gums is right, you cannot get a new motor (I asked my dealer) for any of the Yamaha line of atvs. That does suck. You can order all the parts and assemble one yourself though ($$). I would investigate to find the reason for the engine failure....including oil analysis,metal inspection, and looking for a foreign object (bearing, broken pin, etc) that could of failed and caused further damage.

Does anyone know if you could buy a complete motor for any other of the manufacturers? I am sure the Bombs do seeing as how they use Rotax.

Old 09-08-2004, 03:52 AM
Pro Rider

I never bashed. All I did was question the fact that a 4500 mile motor that was perfectly maintained would kick a rod.

All I said was to stop WONDERING about WHY it happened for apparently no reason.. and go and find out why it happened.

Old 09-08-2004, 09:50 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Anyone have over 4,500 miles on their Griz?

Old 09-08-2004, 02:04 PM
Range Rover

Should have bought a banshee... instead of one of those reliable 4 strokes. JK dude. Im sorry to hear this It really sucks and Ive had problems like this before (cars for example Ive owned 2 GM's my first and my last!!)

I just wanted to let ya know that I have a buddy that has an 02 grizz with 8400 miles on it and he beats the living hell out of it. He has replaced bearings, axles, shocks, rims, plastics, handle bars. and so on and so on... He has never had a problem with his motor. It really sucks that your motor went. If I where you Id go out and buy a new quad. You can put most of your accessories on your new griz (if you get another one) and part out whats left of your old quad on ebay... You will have an entire new quad and you can make your first couple payments with the money you get from parts on ebay... just my opinion... hope it works out...

Old 09-09-2004, 12:12 PM
Weekend Warrior

Your situation is certainly unfortunate and hard to understand at best. I for one don't believe Yamaha is at fault here. If the failure was due to a defect in that model, you would not be the only one to experence it and warrenty would be extended to you. Something was overlooked and / or done improperly. I'd be looking at the dealer no matter what the evidence shows. I don't and will never use a dealer or outside shop for anything except warrenty. I agree that one should not have to be so careful about checking to see if work we pay for is done properly but the bottom line is, we do. If you had done the service yourself, you could be sure it was done right. If the failure ocurred after you serviced it you could go back through the steps and know for sure. In this case you don't, you can only assume and we both know how that can go. I know it's a tough pill to swallow as it would certainly be tough for anyone in your shoes. In your last post you said Yamaha was sending a Rep out to investigate. Yamaha should be commended for this effort no matter what the outcome is. All you can do is hope he has some answers and who knows, there may be some help.

Old 09-14-2004, 10:25 AM
Weekend Warrior

Just a little update guys The yamaha rep called my dealer to ask him some questions on my bike.He is the only rep for alantic canada so he is pretty busy.I am hoping he will make it up to see it this week.When he shows up i will let you all know what he says happened and where i stand on getting this machine fixed.Dont get me wrong YAMAHA STILL ROCKS in my book one bad apple dosent spoil the batch.