Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Blaster ran like Sh!t today!

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2004, 02:53 AM
Rem
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blaster ran like **** today!

it was weird. it started fairly easy. I would ride, and it would stall very easy as well. Also, it felt that it had a rev limiter that kicked in at about6500 rpm. I just barely start into the powerband and then burrrrrp brruuuuup bruuu..... it doesnt stall then, it stalls when i let off the gas, but i can be going 45 on the street and let off the gas and it will stall.

i think 2 things could be wrong:

1)havent cleaned my air filter in 4 rides.

2) my brother messed with screws on my carbuerator.

i dunno if this helps but all it has done to it is a K&n with outerwear(lid on) and an oil injector block off kit. oh, it has a DG silencer, but not the pipe yet.

it ran great the last couple rides but this time it really stunk. I could tell it was way worse because usually if i slow down to about 3-4 mph in the dirt(my tires are the stock ones from 94, and they are pretty bald, though they were brand new when i got the bike because i got it last october and it wasnt broken in yet) and put it in 2nd gear, stand on the grab bar and pull back, i can ride wheelies all day normally, but not today. when i tried this today, it would just bog , and it would barely work in first. i know its not my tires cause the tires will barely spin.

does anyone have a clue as to why my blaster is so slow right now?

- sorry i forgot to mention that we bored the cylinder to .5(i didnt pick size, my dad did) and we rode it fairly hard once warmed up during rebuild break in. it ran great, and had more torque than ever before these last few rides.

if anyone has some idea why my blaster isnt running right please tell, all responses are appreciated!!

thanks, Rem

Old 11-05-2004, 04:03 AM
Pro Rider

hey Rem , start by pulling yer sparkplug and reading it. should be light brown. I suspect bad fuel, a plugged jet, a questionable spark plug. handle them all one at a time: check spark, check the fuel. 99% of quads we see in the shop for rideability probs have crappy fuel, a plugged carb, crab settings/jetting WAY off, or a "new'plug that doesnt work. you'll get it going again...its something simple.
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 11-05-2004, 08:20 AM
Pro Rider

maybe since its getting colder you have to rejet...i know when i ride, and i nail the throttle real fast it bogs sometimes.

Old 11-05-2004, 03:59 PM
Pro Rider

Try cleaning your carb, Have you changed the jetting sence you bored it out? Larger displacment means your engine is going to be sucking more air, and with that air you need more fuel.

Old 11-05-2004, 11:57 PM
Rem
Pro Rider

It has only lowered like 10-15 degrees down here, its still in the lower 80s, the spark plug was brand new, fuel was just pumped that day, and no, i havent changed the jetting. it ran great until this ride, and i have yet to check my air filter. Hopefully that will be the problem, but i dont really have much else an idea of what is wrong. i can try cleaning the carb, the filter, and i will try to get hold of 93 octane gas, instead of 91.

Shav0, i have the stock jetting still, i want to put my DG(POS) pipe on, then jet it with the lid off. Considering those factors, and the factor that it is bored, what jet should i try running in it? i am at around 2500-3000 ft

Old 11-06-2004, 08:16 AM
Pro Rider

Try steppin it up a few sizes and then work your way back down. Stock main is 230 i believe so work from there. You might wanna step the pilot up also.

Old 11-06-2004, 08:57 AM
Range Rover

Have you checked the reeds ?

I would start off by cleaning the carb , my carb was barely dirty and it ran horrible , you be suprised at what a dirty carb will do.
After that I would ride it and check my plug thats another known problem with 2 strokes , they always want new plugs in them .
Now ride it again and see if that was the problem , if its still doing it check the reeds.
Hope this helps you.

Old 11-06-2004, 01:45 PM
Rem
Pro Rider

yes, ive checked the reeds, theyre fine, but i think i should replace with some power reeds anyways. im going to ride my 125 today, so ill prolly try fixing the blaster when i get back.