Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Growing up in the 30's-70's

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2005, 12:04 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Growing up in the 30's-70's

TO THE KIDS WHO SURVIVED the 30's 40's, 50's, 60's and 70's

First, we survived being born to mothers who smoked and/or drank while they carried us.

They took aspirin, ate blue cheese dressing and didn't get tested for diabetes.

Then after that trauma, our baby cribs were covered with bright colored lead-based paints.

We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors or cabinets and when we rode our bikes, we had no helmets, not to mention, the risks we took hitchhiking.

As children, we would ride in cars with no seat belts or air bags.

Riding in the back of a pick up on a warm day was always a special treat.

We drank water from the garden hose and NOT from a bottle.

We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle and NO ONE actually died from this.

We ate cupcakes, bread and butter and drank soda pop with sugar in it, but we weren't overweight because WE WERE ALWAYS OUTSIDE PLAYING!

We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the streetlights came on.

No one was able to reach us all day. And we were O.K.

We would spend hours building our go-carts out of scraps and then ride down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes. After running into the bushes a few times, we learned to solve the problem.

We did not have Playstations, Nintendo's, X-boxes, no video games at all, no 99 channels on cable, no video tape movies, no surround sound, no cell phones, no personal computers, no Internet or Internet chat rooms..........WE HAD FRIENDS and we went outside and found them!

We fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeth and there were no lawsuits from these accidents.

We made up games with sticks and tennis ***** and ate worms and although we were told it would happen, we did not put out very many eyes, nor did the worms live in us forever.

We rode bikes or walked to a friend's house and knocked on the door or rang the bell, or just walked in and talked to them!

Little league had tryouts and not everyone made the team. Those who didn't had to learn to deal with disappointment. Imagine that!!

The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke the law was unheard of. They actually sided with the law!

This generation has produced some of the best risk-takers, problem solvers and inventors ever!

The past 50 years have been an explosion of innovation and new ideas.

We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned HOW TO DEAL WITH IT ALL!

And YOU are one of them! CONGRATULATIONS! You might want to share this with others who have had the luck to grow up as kids, before the lawyers and the government regulated our lives for our own good.

Kind of makes you want to run through the house with scissors, doesn't it?!

Old 01-26-2005, 12:25 AM
Pro Rider

I love that.

Watched a black and white tv and we got 3 channels. Saw the first footsteps on the moon when it happened.

Wandered around the woods with my 22 rifle at 13 years of age.

Our phone number was BR6-2473 (remember those prefixes?)

We rang a huge bell at school with a rope that would pull you up in the air once you got it going.

And I woulda given ANYTHING for a Honda CT-70.

Ah, them days.

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 01-26-2005, 12:47 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Here's a few things I used to enjoy-

Playing in the swamp with a cousin. Trying to walk through it on boards laying on top of the muck.

Laying down while riding in the back of a pickup. If you looked straight up the trees looked like a tunnel as they passed by fast.

Swimming a summer away in the creek.

Haying at a local farm. We'd run down to the creek to cool off between hay loads.

Walking everywhere. Except for when you were riding a bike.

Floating down at least five miles of creek on truck tire tubes.

Playing football in the rain.

Collecting lightning bugs on hot summer night.

Watching the ants work beneath the grass.

Staring at the stars.

Searching for a four leaf clover.

Old 01-26-2005, 01:58 AM
Quad Patrol

What memories your posts bring back[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

How about;

Vinyl records

8 track tapes

Station Wagons instead of mini-vans

Shoveling snow in Chicago for 25 cents and it would actually buy something[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Making $1.90 and being happy about it

Going to the local school on weekends for a pick up game of baseball

Using the corner fire hydrant to cool down on hot/muggy summer nights

You could eat everything you caught out of the stream or hunted

And like Coyote mentioned,
catching lightning bugs was cool, especially when pulling their tails off

Old 01-26-2005, 02:15 AM
Pro Rider

Some of my faves:

from Fremont and Davis, CA circa 1970

Exploring the tunnels (water runoff - very dangerous I now know) with a flashlight and my little brother...

Building underground forts with seats carved from the dirt, boards and dirt covering the top. It was good if you could walk over the top without falling in...

Walking through the tomato fields after the harvest and stomping on the leftovers - SPLAT!

Exploring the foothills all day long with other racers' kids while my dad ran in his enduros (mom said watch out for snakes)...

from Huntington Beach, CA circa 1974

Riding our bikes motocross style off Magnolia by the power station (mom packed our lunches and sent us on our way)...

Riding down to the beach and playing there all day (sometimes mom rode with us too). Imagine! Unsupervised middle school kids at the beach. We coulda drowned, but there was still a full complement of lifeguards and we were good swimmers.

And of course, what we lived for.....riding with dad and his buddies, strawberry pop in a bottle, and smiles with gritty teeth.

Old 01-26-2005, 06:22 AM
Pro Rider

Ted Nugent, Foghat, Mountain, R.E.O. Speedwagon, and Aerosmith, all on the same night,,,,for 6 bucks,,,,,

Old 01-26-2005, 07:00 AM
Pro Rider

Ahhh the good ole days?

I posted something very similar to this on another site, and while I was doing it I realized that it was the very same paint chip eating, helmetless crashing, free thinking bunch that caused all the changes to those things of the past.

After living thru all of those things and growing up etc it seemed that somehow all those people couldnt accept all the same freedoms and risks for their very own children. So now we have constant communication thru cell phones with kids that are able to get into more trouble with less freedoms than ever before.

Where did it all go wrong? I dont know but maybe all the anti depressants so many from those decades are taking will allow everyone to better think about it, and things can get back to normal again.

Than again wtf is normal anyhow.

Old 01-26-2005, 09:15 AM
Weekend Warrior

this was on preadator masters .. But anyway im 16 and i do pretty much that stuff now.. Older guys must think your special[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 01-26-2005, 09:29 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Everyone has different experiences depending on where they lived and when they grew up. I doubt the kids of today will look back and remember liking those darn video games over some other activity. It would be sad if they looked back and thought about staying inside and playing video games for a whole summer. They will have other memories that they will cling onto.

Not everyone wanted to correct all of their parents errors. Raising children in such a dangerous manner.
I think that people need to live within their means and stop trying to keep up with the latest trend. What will people just have to have tomorrow? Now it's things like cell phones, dvd's, tv's in the car, and whatever else the manufacturers can think up to shove down our throats. You don't need to have the latest and greatest items. People can survive without them and without the debt that comes with buying them. In a way, people are losing their instinct to survive. How many people know how to can their own food these days? (including meat) How many people have their own garden to grow their own food? The current trend of Walmart buyers is making the following generations dumber. If there was an emergency situation that lasted a few years, could most of America survive on their own?

If some people want to gain happiness. They may need to step backwards a bit and realize what is truly important in life. Hint- Happiness doesn't come by way of the objects sitting around the house charged on a credit card.

Here's a couple dangerous things I've survived-

Riding at least 5 people in a truck cab meant to fit 3.

Three kids riding down a dirt road on a Big Red without helmets.

Being bucked off horses without a helmet.

Riding without seatbelts. Here's one I don't get. We have bought at least 3 or 4 different car seats for the different stages our children go through. (Required by law) Only to have the state transport our children on buses without seatbelts.

Old 01-26-2005, 12:35 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Walking outside and turning an antenna to pick up one of the 3 channels better
Making dams in the creek to make a swimming hole
Going to sleep while the old style gas heater keeps you warm
Knowing every kid around within walking distance
Getting bones broken and not sueing the person at fault
Going out to eat was a special occasion
Getting an ATARI
Playing with a slinky