Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

new shocks needed with wider a-arms?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2005, 07:03 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new shocks needed with wider a-arms?

if u get +2 a-arms(+4 total +2 for each side, just making sure) do u need longer suspension, or can the stock suspension tide it over until i can get better suspension? thanks -------rider1169

Old 01-26-2005, 08:42 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unless you get longtravel a arms, the stock length shocks will be sufficent. The problem isnt the length though, the stock shocks dont have the valving to handle the extra pressure. You will need new shocks if you want to jump or handle well at all.

Old 01-26-2005, 08:57 PM
Pro Rider

+2 +1 (probably what your talking about?) A-arms do not need aftermarket shocks.. use stock shocks and you will feel the difference. Then save up $$ to get yourself a nice set of elkas!!!

Old 01-26-2005, 09:03 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Raptorboy4life
+2 +1 (probably what your talking about?) A-arms do not need aftermarket shocks.. use stock shocks and you will feel the difference. Then save up $$ to get yourself a nice set of elkas!!!
Don't get elkas...

If your on a budget get works..

If you have soem $$ get some PEP's or Custom Axis..

Old 01-26-2005, 10:55 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Banshee392
Originally posted by: Raptorboy4life
Don't get elkas...

If your on a budget get works..

If you have soem $$ get some PEP's or Custom Axis..
yep, get PEP, TCS, or Custom Axis, most racers most likely get sponsered by Elka so they have to run their shocks, and who wouldn't when you get free money for winning races and advertising their products, but PEP, TCS and Axis shocks are way better and more expensive, i have PEP shocks on my 250R and couldn't ask for a better shock, and when i see all these posts about PEP shocks rusting at the top, well they must not take to good of care of their machine cause i don't have ONE rust spot anywhere on my shocks and i ride through mud, creeks, etc and no rust spots anywhere on them. Elkas are pretty close to the Ohlins shocks i would think, but neither one would be a choice of mine

Old 01-26-2005, 11:28 PM
Pro Rider

I love all those other shocks but i feel that the Elkas have the best design.. but by far axis are the best shocks ive ever tried out!!!

Old 01-27-2005, 01:41 AM
Pro Rider

if you go plus 2, your going to have to adjust your current shocks, to a stiffer rate, the arm is out farther so the shock thinks their is more weight. i highly recommend just sending your stock shocks to TCS, and have them re-do them its cheap

Old 01-27-2005, 02:12 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by: CTracingraptor
if you go plus 2, your going to have to adjust your current shocks, to a stiffer rate, the arm is out farther so the shock thinks their is more weight. i highly recommend just sending your stock shocks to TCS, and have them re-do them its cheap
Typically the shock mounts are in the same location from the center of the frame as the oem a arms, the shock length is the same. The problem is the extra a arm past the shock mount which applied more force to the shock and requires a stiffer spring rate/valving to maintain a good ride.

I'd throw some yfz shocks on there, and if those arent enough have them rebuilt, not the stock raptors shocks. The yfz shocks have all kinds of adjustments that most recreational shocks like Elka's cheap line and works at steelers dont have. You also have rezzies.

Old 04-26-2005, 04:05 PM
Range Rover

what would it costs for yzf shocks to be revalved? and how much do yzf go for used?