Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

bad A** SNOWMOBILE

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2005, 10:36 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bad A** SNOWMOBILE

I have ridden a REV... it felt really funny to me, kinda like I was always going downhill. Probably because I wasn't used to it... It did handle pretty good, and ate the pow pow like crazy.
I'm not too impressed with the 800cc doo motor... I have an '01 800 Himark 151 (That I can't give away) and let's just say that fuel economy is less than pathetic...It doesn't sound like things have improved very much..

I'm still very much into my little Yammie 700... I've ported and piped it (All work done myself)... It runs circles around my Himark..
I made a very big mistake by throwing a leg over a buddies new M7 Cat... Yeow! Handling, track speed when climbing, etc, etc... I'm afraid I'll be going over to the Cat camp before it's over..

Old 02-28-2005, 01:44 PM
Pro Rider

Hey Duneaddict. I am leary of the 600 and 800 doo motors because of the complaints about rings. Was that also a potential problem in 01? Maybe a compression and leakdown test is in order. We ride only trails in MI and Ontario. But I would love to try the mountain riding that it sounds like you do!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] LOL, we only have hills. I have heard that the Cat M7 and F7 are great sleds. Although I have to admit, the Yamaha 4 strokes are pretty nice. The weight seems to be a non-issue but, I can't say how they would be in the steep and deep.

My wife has pretty much settled on the REV, she will probably go with a 550 fan GSX or the 500ss. She thinks it seems very much like her quad. Thats the best way I'd describe the posture also. And you are right on when you say that it seems like you sit over the skis. It is quite different than the traditional sled. I like the way it handles the bumps. LOL, which is what we spend a lot of time riding in.
Have a great day [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
BryceGTX

Old 02-28-2005, 06:34 PM
Pro Rider

Yep, the '01s had a bad problem with the rings!! Doo recalled mine, so I got a new set of rings/pistons at 1,600miles, but I'm worried again, as folks are only getting 800-1000 miles per set... I haven't torn down to fix it (No more warranty), but theres a fella here in Utah that is using a completely different piston/ring combo with some good success... there's also some severe short-circuiting with the stock porting that needs remedied, poor head design..... I'm not a very happy camper with Doo..

You really need to try some mountain riding... There's nothing like it on earth! Just imagine, standing tall on your sled, and not being able to see or breathe from all the powder flying!! Look down and can't even see your sled underneath you. Powerturns, and ripping up meadows... its great! If I had to trail ride, I'd just sell out, and find another hobby.. it's that good! But weight IS everything...

You really need to make a trip out sometime, spend a week or two... Guess we're really spoiled by living here... Great sledding in the winter, and some of the best dunes in the USA really close too.

Old 03-01-2005, 12:43 AM
Pro Rider

You really need to make a trip out sometime, spend a week or two... Guess we're really spoiled by living here..
LOL, you don't know how many videos I watched of mountains sleds high-marking and jumping. It really gets your adrenaline flowing!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Yep, you guys are spoiled. LOL, I should be so lucky.
Have a good day
BryceGTX