Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

HELMET WEARING POSSE

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2005, 09:29 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELMET WEARING POSSE

With all the talk lately and the hype about not wearing helmets you would think alot more people would wear them.

What riding/safety gear does everyone wear?

If we can get enough people to reply/sign this post then maybe we can make some people change their ways. One person to start wearing a helmet makes all of this worth while.

Read the below sad story and then make a post if you wear your helmet/safety gear and why. I know one person that was a grade behind me in school lost his life one day while riding due to not wearing propor safety equipment. It hurts everyone and can almost always be prevented. So lets try and see if we cant change some peoples ways.

Thanks,
Gwinnwarrior

__________________________________________________ _______________________________________
Im pretty confident that no one here knows my friend, Bill Hill

you will have to trust me when I say that Bill is a great person and a very good rider.

On Friday February 11th, after riding all day with friends in Tonasket Washington, Bill went to load up his bike.

Ironically, he had worn his helmet all day, but did not have it on for loading.

Bill road one last wheely, hit the grab bar on the pavement and was thrown from the bike.

In the resulting crash Bill suffered severe head injury.

Luckily a doctor was on scene within minutes (he happened to live near by) and was able to stabilize him.

After a long helicopter ride Bill is in Sacred Heart Medical Center in Spokane. He is in a medically induced Coma as the doctors fight to reduce the pressure on his brain.

After the a very touch and go first 72 hours things are starting to look better, but there is a really long road ahead.

Bill just turned 21, and was taking the winter off after serving on fire crews all summer. That means, unemployed and no insurance.

I've never done anything like this before, but I've set up a relief fund for Bill.

I'm posting this in the wanted section because I'm looking for good will, I know someone who needs it badly.

Any little bit will help

Thank you

Old 03-02-2005, 09:52 AM
Trailblazer

nice camel toe!

Old 03-02-2005, 10:43 AM
Trailblazer

wow...I clicked the link thinking that I'd reply how I always wear a helmet. I wear a motorcross style helmet b/c I almost lost my teeth once while wearing a helmet with no face protection.

I was shocked to see that this happed to a kid that usually wears his helmet but didn't while loading onto a trailer....that's usually me. Wear it all day and then take it off at the end of the day, including while loading. I guess I should rethink that.

sorry to hear about this guy but thanks for sharing.

Old 03-02-2005, 10:55 AM
Pro Rider

same thing here, i cant tell you how many times i get my raptor or warrior out of the shed and will pull it into the garage to work on but first take it for a raip around the yard 2-3 gear, or maybe down the drive.

Definately makes you stop and think.

Old 03-02-2005, 11:11 AM
Range Rover

my son and i both wear helmets with full face mx, googles, chest protectors, neck rolls, gloves, riding boots, and communicate with the chatter box's....excellant form of training/safety.....hes not even allowed to spin around the yard with out being fully suited up....im thinking about riding pants here soon...you are right about the gear.....some people just dont get it....ive watched my 5 year old roll his 90 pred off a pretty high embankmentt over his head (in sand)....my heart dropped....he was upp and riding again before i got to him.....i was mad scared relieved....raised my voice a little while explaining what he did wrong and what to do next time...he pretty sure he got the message...but with out that helmet....id be crying at the hospital and no tellin if we could ever ride again....

Old 03-02-2005, 11:26 AM
Trailblazer

wheelinguy, that is scary. My son is only 10 mos. old but I can't wait until he's my riding partner. I've already been scared of what could happen out on the trails. I'm glad that you don't let him even ride in the yard w/o full gear...I'll be doing the same.

Old 03-02-2005, 11:34 AM
Pro Rider

I used to never really ride with a helmet til a few months ago and now I WILL NOT ride without it.

Old 03-02-2005, 12:39 PM
Range Rover

hey sluggo....i started my son after he was riding a tricycle....i then put him on one of those plastic battery operated like the ones you get from toys r us.....let him do that while...in the mean time at age 3 ish he started riding with me....geared up obviously and straps that held him to me...he rode in the front so his feet could ride the fenders and have a aftermarket handle bar w/ cross for his hand...started off slow and creeped around the trails...took him off and let him play in the sand when it was time for me to jump and get stupid...after about a year...we were taking the trails and keeping up with the pack...hell we were even doing small jumps (trails)....he learned so much from it...leaning...when to prepare to obsorb...positioning both on the bike and geographically(400ex has no reverse) ...now it was time for a knock off 50cc quickly got bored with it by the end of the season..so i went and got him the 90 pred.... he loves it.....plenty of room to grow into...good luck with your little guy!

hey gwinn....i used to live at ki sawyer...back in mid 80's....do the snowmobilers still bitch about the 4wheelers...lol

Old 03-02-2005, 12:48 PM
Pro Rider
Has Been Around Here Quite Awhile!

Hey guys, just last week here in Missouri we had 2 Fatal ATV accidents in the same County. Both were riding alone. Both had no helment. One was 28 years old found dead in the middle of a county road. Must have been riding fast,hit loose gravel and flipped. The other was a 68 year old. Why cant people get it! Like my 10 year old says "Wearing a Helmet is Cool!!.

Old 03-02-2005, 01:21 PM
Range Rover
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A good friend of ours just died this weekend in St. Germain Wisconsin in a snowmobile accident. He was wearing his helmet and full gear but hit another lady head on on. The ironic part is that he is a good rider and he went down to the lake to see if there was any one to race seeing no one he was returning to his cabin and got hit. Life is short I think that when its your time its your time. Live it like its your last. You wont see me with out my gear any more.

Quick Reply: HELMET WEARING POSSE