Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

No spark.. but still runs!?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2005, 11:48 PM
ReQ
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No spark.. but still runs!?

the fuse an stuff was one f the very first things i tested, it was fine an i even changed it just to be sure... an as for that other thread.. mines doing something alot different.. once i pop start it an its running it will run all day an never die or anything it runs perfect... lights work battery never dies or anything.. but if i park it.. wait a few hours or so for it to cool off... it wont start with the push button but it will pop start easy...

Old 03-08-2005, 11:56 PM
ReQ
Trailblazer

ok.. i got some news that may help finally... talked to a guy that knows alot about yamaha atvs.. he told me the rectifier may be bad... i explaied what it was doing an he said it sounded like the rectifier wasnt holdign a charge so thats why it starts after u ride it for awhile then kill it, once the rectifier has a charge built up it will crank with the push button.. but if u let it sit for awhile an the charge gose away.. wont crank unless u pop start it.. so.. anyone know where i can get a rectifier for my warrior and how much? lol

Old 03-09-2005, 12:00 AM
ReQ
Trailblazer

and i know alot of u r going to say ebay.. but i dont buy stuff from ebay... not anymore [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

Old 03-09-2005, 12:38 AM
Range Rover

what is a rectifier?? I have never heard of that

Old 03-09-2005, 01:32 PM
ReQ
Trailblazer

well iv never heard of it ither until last night.. but he says its the little metal box in the back right next to the CDI box... no idea what the rectifier is suppose to do but i guess it has something to do with the stator an the charge for the spark, from what he said im guessing the rectifier controls the charge that the stator sends through the bike, so if its not working right.. it could b keeping the plug from firing after the bike sits for awhile.. makes sence i guess lol

Old 03-09-2005, 01:42 PM
Range Rover

Oh I c, i just looked it up on ebay and apparently there is such a thing. Too bad you dont use ebay cause theres one on there for $10 right now and it ends tomorrow. Hope that is your problem and you get it solved.

Old 03-09-2005, 04:12 PM
Pro Rider

The rectifier converts the ac power from the stator to dc so the battery can be charged.

Old 03-09-2005, 04:52 PM
Pro Rider

So, is that similar to a solenoid? I'm glad you might of found the problem though, congrats!

Old 03-09-2005, 05:12 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Before you throw money into parts, try jump starting. This will let you know if the battery is good or not. Just because its a year old isnt proof its good.The only real test is if it passes a load test.
The rectifier, is just 5 diodes, theres nothing that will store energy in it. 4 of the diodes, are part of a full wave bridge rectifier. That converts the a/c voltage from the stator, to dc voltage for the bikes electrical needs. The 5 th diode is a zenner diode, which holds the maximun voltage to 14.4 volts. Its the battery's job to store energy for the next start.
Take a known, good battery, and jump start the quad. Make sure that if the battery is in a car or truck...that the donor vehicle is NOT running. If the motor on the car or truck is running, it could damage your quads electricl system...car alternators put out more than 14.4 volts, and thats what wrecks the quads electrics. But if the motor is off, its safe.
This is free, and will eliminate the battery as being the source of the problems, if it still wont turn over with a jump. If jump starting works...get the quad battery load tested. Any auto parts store will test it...also for free. Napa, or auto zone will do it for sure. If they say the battery is good...you have a high resistance wire somewhere...most likely a corroded ground wire.

Old 03-09-2005, 06:18 PM
Range Rover

When the quad runs does it act like a car where it puts a chrage to the battery? If hes saying that when its pop started and runs for a while then he shuts it down, it will start using the push button, wouldn;t that be because the battery is getting a full charge. By letting it sit for a little the charge gets weaker not pushing out enough juice to crank the starter fast enough. Do quads batteries work like that?

Quick Reply: No spark.. but still runs!?