Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

No spark.. but still runs!?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2005, 07:35 PM
ReQ
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No spark.. but still runs!?

Its not the battery im 100% sure of this lol iv had it hooked to a battery charger with a cranking booster an it still doesnt start.. i just took the starter to the shop to get it tested an the starter is fine n the coil is fine... it was jump started with a car battery while the car was running.. a few times im sure so maybe thats part of the problem, but how do i fix that lol iv been testing alot of wiring an stuff an o far i havent found anything.. i did find something weird today tho... if u push the starter button it turns the motor over... even when u turn the on/off switch to off... i took the main switch apart an cleaned it an everything an it still dose it.. could this b the problem?

Old 03-09-2005, 08:14 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally posted by: FoxForma
When the quad runs does it act like a car where it puts a chrage to the battery? If hes saying that when its pop started and runs for a while then he shuts it down, it will start using the push button, wouldn;t that be because the battery is getting a full charge. By letting it sit for a little the charge gets weaker not pushing out enough juice to crank the starter fast enough. Do quads batteries work like that?
Yep, you got it correct. A bad or corrorded wire can cause he same symptoms too.

ReQ
Well, if you jump started already...and the donor vehicle was running, it could have fried the rr. ( regulator/rectifier). The rr is only meant to disapate 14.4 volts, if you put more than that to it, it gets very hot, and can fry the diode.
But you probably already had the problem before jump starting, and thats why you jump started. So the rr didnt cause the original problem. If you put a volt meter accross the battery, and crank, what does the voltage read? Then when it running( either by jump starting or cranking), and going about 3000 rpm, what does the volt meter read?

Old 03-09-2005, 08:39 PM
ReQ
Trailblazer

well we were just testing some stuff trying to force the plug to fire... by passing alot of stuff.. useing a battery charger and bypassing the battery an coil an the plug would not fire.. theres something somewhere on my warrior that wont let the plug fire.. we even put new plug wires on it... i think the only way its gonna b fixed.. is to strip it an redo all the wiring harness.. but that takes alot of money lol an im not willing to put that kinda money into this quad... its my first quad an im not planning on keeping it.. i think ill just buy a pull start an keep riding it until im ready to buy something bigger an faster... maybe a shiny new raptor... the warrior isnt really big enough for me anyway lol but its great to learn on

thanks for all the help everyone.

im not normally a quitter but this warrior has gotten the best of me[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]..

Old 03-10-2005, 01:53 PM
Pro Rider

I've had a bad battery that, even when connected to a charger/booster, wouldn't start the bike. Are you ABSOLUTLY sure that your battery is good? They can be very misleading sometimes if you don't check it right.

Old 03-10-2005, 11:09 PM
ReQ
Trailblazer

just couldnt leave it alone... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img], lol i went an looked at a modded rappy today.. looks nice an im pretty sure ill be bringing it home this weekend.. but somehow i found myself outside working on my warrior again today lol, figured id get more selling it.. if i can fix it, id keep it if i had a place to put it lol but i only have room for 2 quads right now an im not leaving it outside for someone to steal.. anyway enough of that... bigbubba u may be right lol i was so sure that battery was good... i kept telling myself theres no may the battery is the problem cuz iv tried jumping it off with a batter charger... but i dunno now.. i pop started it an rode it around alittle today... everyone else was riding their quads around and i felt so left out lol, BUT while it was running i thought id test some stuff... when i first po started it i 4got an had the rectifier UNPLUGED.. and it strill started an ran? how the hell is that.... anyawy.. i shut it off.. pluged it back up.. pop started it again... it wouldnt run.. acted like it was running out of gas.. finally got it running an took the seat off an tested the battery.. just idling.. its putting out around 11-12 volts.. the book says its suppose to be 14-15 volts, someone said it needed atleast 12 volts to the coil right? well if its barely putting out 12 AT the battery.. i figured theres no way 12 volts r getting to the coil.. so i checked.. when u hit the start button its getting 7-8 volts to the coil.. so... is it the battery or rectifier

im stealing the battery out of my dads quad tomorrow an testing it lol i KNOW that battery is good it cranks his flawlessly

Old 03-11-2005, 05:42 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Sounds like a bad battery to me. The only way to know for sure...is to have it load tested. Running the starter and watching the volts is very close to doing a load test. If it drops lower than 10 volts while cranking...then the battery hasnt got much life left in it.
Good to hear you didnt give up on it,

Old 03-11-2005, 02:39 PM
ReQ
Trailblazer

yeah i didnt test it cranking.. but if tis only 11 volts just running... then i cant see it being anymore than that while cranking.. im going now to change batteries around, i know the battery im taking out of the kawasaki is good cuz it cranks my dads prairie, so.. if it still wont crank i guess it has to be the rectifier.. or maybe both of tem being bad is killing the fire lol

oh yeah, the 91 yfm350xb (what mine is) only has ONE fuse right? the book i have.. says 2.. but its for the yfm350xa.. i dunno whats different but mine only has one fuse an iv had the bike striped down to the fram an motor an looked over all the wiring.. only one fuse.. right????[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 03-11-2005, 04:04 PM
Trailblazer

ok first off I would sugest that if your going to keep working on it check the resistance. you might have a wire that is trying to short or worse open. also check all your conections. Also when you check the plug make sure you have a good conection to the head, ie. no paint and the treads are touching as much surface as posible. also check the ground wires, that is 70 percent of electrical faults. check resistance from terminal to terminal should read 0. also what is the amperage reading. also find out if yamaha used fuseable wire, also the starter might not be making enough power to turn the engine to make it start cold, but I would check the resistances before buying parts imo.

Old 03-11-2005, 04:13 PM
ReQ
Trailblazer

iv checked the resistance with an on-meter or vom from back to front on the quad a few times.. everything reads good and iv taken the quad apart checking every wire on it just to make sure, i also took the starter to a shop an he said that the starter was fine, so far i guess iv narrowed it down to the rectifier and the battery, anyone know how to test the rectifier?

Old 03-11-2005, 04:22 PM
ReQ
Trailblazer

oh yeah one other thing, if it is the rectifier... ricky stator sells a "Single Phase Rectifier/Regulator" would that work for a replacement?

http://www.rickystator.com/pages/Sin...Regulator.html

Quick Reply: No spark.. but still runs!?