Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

is the Polaris Pheonix a BS try to put something in the blaster class?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2005, 01:40 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default is the Polaris Pheonix a BS try to put something in the blaster class?

"The all-new Phoenix 200 is a rugged ATV that's also the best value in its class. It's lightweight, fun to drive and inexpensive to operate

That quote.. taken directly from Polaris's website.. just seems like total BS to me.. Best value in it's class? HELLO! how can you beat the value of a Blaster?? It may be the best starter quad (Auto, elec start.. blah blah blah) but no way is it the best "value" in its class.. and it cant be as lightweight, fun to drive, and inexpensive to operate as the blaster.. i dont think thats really possible. Anyone rode one of these things that has ridden a blaster before (who hasnt ridden a blaster? haha)? I just hope when Yamaha cant produce the blaster anymore they dont stoop this low. I'm not saying its not a good quad.. cuz it would make a GREAT starter quad.. but the best value in its class???

Old 04-03-2005, 01:46 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The phoenix is what it is, cheap Taiwanese crap. Its for kids who graduate from the Breeze but dont want to shift. And cant handle a trail blazer... Basically its Polaris' answer to not offering a 125 like yamaha and more importantly all of the new incoming offerings from the Far East. The same ad used to and still occasionally does run at the top of this forum's webpage. They must not be considering the 2 stroke blaster in the same class even though its the closest in price and displacement.

Old 04-03-2005, 01:51 AM
Range Rover

hha what else is there? if the blaster isnt in the class then it makes sense... "best value in its class"... because its the only one in the class... It's like being the tallest guy at a midget party and feeling tall.. ok i guess its not.. but whatever... haha

Old 04-03-2005, 01:54 AM
Elite Pro Rider

I guess I'm not sure. I would have thought it would be considered with the 250ex and z250 but then it is cutting out the TB.

Polaris isnt the clearest on their production lines, they have 3 quads in the big bore utility class.

Old 04-03-2005, 03:04 AM
Range Rover

IDK about polaris.. i literally dont like anything for my type of riding.. The big bore util. are too big and plasticy.. the pred is the only thing they have going and ive had bad experiences on trails.. i dont really see Polaris being able to stay in buisness if they dont do something huge.. And what kind of BS is this that the one thing i liked about them (made in america) is leaving.. Gar

Old 04-03-2005, 03:32 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Polaris isnt in any trouble, they have a good share of the atv market and I dont see that declining to a dangerous state anytime soon. The polaris sportsman series are pretty much the best work atvs you can purchase and the predator is a great value. The scramblers cater to a niche that every other company has ignored with the exception of the wolverine, which isnt much in comparison.

I just think the phoenix is out of place, doesnt belong under thier nameplate. A replacement or major redesign for the tb 250 would have been great, but this machine just doesnt fit.

Old 04-03-2005, 11:36 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah, I wouldn't worry about Polaris going anywhere anytime soon. Up here in the great white north at least, there is a Polaris dealer in just about every other town or village that has more than two stoplights. Back in the mid 80's a lot of people were saying they would never succeed in the ATV market. In another 20 years maybe they will be the sales leader!

As for the Phoenix, I think the biggest problem with it is that the motor doesn't have a little more scoot. I would really like to see someone sell a "mini V-Force" a fully auto sport quad with engine braking and at least a 350cc motor.

Old 04-04-2005, 12:37 AM
Range Rover

I was just yesterday thinking it would be nice to have a smaller, cheaper V-force that wasnt so friggin huge and heavy, yet still had an automatic tranny and engine break and still made you feel like you where taking off in an airplane when you gunned it. I guess your right about polaris, i just havent had good experiences and i dont ride with many people with them, so they dont seem too popular to me.

Old 04-04-2005, 12:57 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Call it the quad for the better half. I would love to get something for the wife like a Phoenix, just with more oomph. Some of the places I ride, I question the ability of a 200cc CVT quad to be able to climb those hills. Weather sucked here all weekend, so for giggles I went to a local dealership and ran across an Eiger. I think even that may be to big for my petite little wifey. Then again, the race bikes have spoiled me, the z250 felt a tad wide in the tank too.