Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

yfz 450 vs. bombardier

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2005, 02:26 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default yfz 450 vs. bombardier

Hey guys, I've been hearin a lot about that bombardeir lately, and I'm wonderin how they compare to my yfz. I've seen quite a few goin by out on the dunes, but I've never gotten one to race. (Not to say that all I do is race. I don't race much at all.) Those things just look so dang big to me! Don't they weigh like 700 pounds or something like that too? I'm just hearin a lot of hype, and it's got me curious. Is it just that (hype), or are they worth the conversation time? Now obviously I'm asking this in a yamaha thread, so I'm probably gonna get biased opinoins, but I really wanna know how they stack up! Nobody has to sell me on the yfz, I've got one and there's no way that I'm gonna give it up! I'm just curious about that 650 (I think it's the 650! DS 650 right?) Thanks for any info you've got!

Old 05-03-2005, 05:54 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: yfz450trx400ex
Hey guys, I've been hearin a lot about that bombardeir lately, and I'm wonderin how they compare to my yfz. I've seen quite a few goin by out on the dunes, but I've never gotten one to race. (Not to say that all I do is race. I don't race much at all.) Those things just look so dang big to me! Don't they weigh like 700 pounds or something like that too? I'm just hearin a lot of hype, and it's got me curious. Is it just that (hype), or are they worth the conversation time? Now obviously I'm asking this in a yamaha thread, so I'm probably gonna get biased opinoins, but I really wanna know how they stack up! Nobody has to sell me on the yfz, I've got one and there's no way that I'm gonna give it up! I'm just curious about that 650 (I think it's the 650! DS 650 right?) Thanks for any info you've got!
You'd probably be better off asking this in the Bombadier forum.
I think once they get going they can go pretty fast, but I don't know much else about them.
I can say that I have never seen one go down into the tree-shots where my friends and I like to play, but I'd be interested to see what happens if one of them would go down into the tree-shots while I was out there.

I hear they are pretty comfortable.
Now that I think about it, I actually rode one about 4 years back or so. Kinda big, but had tons of torque!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 05-03-2005, 08:27 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stock vs. stock:you'll should smoke him,but if a guy has a pipe then he may also have internal work done also.If you race a DS with a Pami engine kit,He'll probably run off and leave you.I raced THEBOM.The DS I was racing against was (stock they're a 650)was a 725,and that wasn't the biggest one he's got.The other was an 830.That's huge.Not saying anything bad about your bike,just they are getting some very good hp. numbers out of them.I don't think you have to worry at all about a stock DS though.

Old 05-04-2005, 12:39 AM
Range Rover

cool, thanks for th info. That is crazy displacement numbers though! How 'bout the handeling though? They look really big and heavy! I'm a big hill, trail, and jump guy, and they just don't look like they would accomodate that kind of riding too well!

Old 05-04-2005, 12:43 AM
Pro Rider

I have one of each, although I just got the YFZ, and it is still so new that it literally hasn't left the garage yet. My son has a YFZ though, and I have drag raced him a bunch of times with my DS650. Bombardier did some tuning for 2005, and for some reason the 2005 DS650s are faster than previous years, so keep that in mind with the responses you get to your question.

When my 2005 DS was ENTIRELY stock, and my son's YFZ had an HMF full system, a K&N, and 20" Holeshots, he beat me easily in every race we ran. Now my DS has an HMF slip on exhaust, and 22" Pure Sport Bandit tires, but is otherwise still stock, and now I beat him consistently in drag races. I have had to get my starting line technique down better to be able to beat him, but now that I have the technique right, I know what the outcome is going to be before we even leave the line. I have to race him on a fairly loose surface, such as gravel, or in sand. And I have to pin the throttle wide open on the starting line, and as soon as the engine bounces off of the rev limiter, I dump the clutch in second gear. Assuming I don't miss a shift, ... I win.

What really surprised me with the YFZ though, was when I did timed runs on five miles of a desert race course on my DS, and compared them to my times on his YFZ, and I was faster on his YFZ than on my DS. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 05-04-2005, 04:23 AM
Range Rover

Thanks for the feedback! How 'bout the handeling though? That's what I'm curious about now. I usually ride trails in upper 3rd or lower 4th gear, and i like to jump crazy high and far (for a quad). How would the ds650 do at that kind of stuff? This is purely for my knowledge, I have no intention (or means) of getting the ds650. My 450 keeps me broke enough! Plus, it fits me like a glove. I just like to know about the other bikes out there.

Old 05-04-2005, 06:54 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The DS has been around since late 99 so I'm really surprised you're just now hearing about it.

Its big, its heavy (470 pounds not 700), and its powerful (makes as much or more hp than any other stock bike). Great dune and desert bike, not the greatest on trails because of the size. Handles great, excellent suspension for a stock big bore machine and a very comfortable and cushy ride.

Old 05-04-2005, 08:48 PM
Range Rover

ok, 470, while still heavy, is a lot better than what I was thinkin! I'm pretty new to the sport, so that's why I havn't heard much about 'em yet. Plus, I havn't really payed any attention to anything other than honda and yamaha till lately. Now I wanna know about all the "badass" bikes out there. Thanks for the info!

Old 05-04-2005, 09:37 PM
Weekend Warrior

my good friend has a ds 650 and have a yfz. he has several mods and can beat me in the long run. off the line i beat him almost every time. the suspenson is insane. it goes on for ever. so the ride is nice. i personally dont like how tall it is. it feels like you are up way off the ground but my firend loves it and has never fiped or anything. it has good steering. it will seem a little top heavy comparted to the yfz but you should never have a problme with stearing. it is not the best machine for trials because it is a wide machine but my friend gets around fine and that is all we do. While i personally dont love most people that i know do.

ps. it is much better machine for bigger guys. a person around 130-150lbs would almost be to small for it. but it is great for bigger guys.

Maha

Old 05-04-2005, 10:19 PM
jas
Range Rover

i had a friend that had a ds 650 he got hurt real bad in a car ascident like the day b4 he let me ride it it had alot of power but in my opnion its like the kfx 700 alot of power but too heavy

Quick Reply: yfz 450 vs. bombardier