Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

DO I run the risk of hurting my engine if not rejetted?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2005, 12:27 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DO I run the risk of hurting my engine if not rejetted?

Your stupid for even doing that $h1t, take it to a yamaha shop to get rejetted before you ride. You should be hit endless times for even thinking this, do it right the first time or you will be paying the price of your mistake, literally...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

Old 06-11-2005, 12:44 AM
Pro Rider

Ok let me correct all this for you. First you will make your best power running a slight lean condition. 2 stokes love a slight lean condition but your flirting with disaster. ANY TIME YOU DO ANYTHING THAT CHANGES AIR FLOW YOU MUST REJET. It's that simple. Even changing from a foam filter to a K&N. Every 20 degrees in weather change requires a jetting change. But most people are really lazy and are content with bikes that run like crap so they jet for winter and let it run rich in the summer, Its safe but your the people who have the crappy running banshees/blasters and are giving them a bad name by fouling plugs and running like crap.

Ok back to your problem Heres the truth take it or leave it.

Ok, the first thing you need to do is do a plug check. It was mentioned here but not well or correctly. You need to put new plugs in and keep the throttle pinned throught the gears and top it out for about 15 sec. Reason is you want to test the main jet and only the main jet. If you leasurely drive around with it any rich jet (piolot, needle, main) will turn a plug brown hiding a lean situation in another jet (also hiding a problem).

After the test cut the threads of the plug off and look for a light brown ring around the base of the plug that will mean the main is spot on. "which is most improtant jet to protect from melt down". Next adjust the needle. This is simple just keep moving the clip down untill the bike runs like $hit. Then move it back up one and your spot on.

Now to what is giving you a problem, the piolot. A LEAN OR RICH PIOLOT WILL NOT ALLOW THE BIKE TO IDLE correctly. This is easy start at 1/2 turn and turn it out untill it reves and idles the best. oh below 1/2 turn out you need a smaller piolot and beyond about 2 1/2 you need a bigger piolot.

The best thing you can do is get a clymer manual and learn to do it your self. Its REALLY EASY just sounds hard. Good luck and dont pay a dealer to do this all they'll do is set it really rich and charge you $100.

Take the time to do it right then all you have to do is buy a couple main jets bigger and smaller and change a main jet according to the weather. With that and a slight adjustment of the air screws and youlll always be spot on.

Old 06-11-2005, 12:55 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: 2004LEBANSHEE

Ok, the first thing you need to do is do a plug check. It was mentioned here but not well or correctly. You need to put new plugs in and keep the throttle pinned throught the gears and top it out for about 15 sec. Reason is you want to test the main jet and only the main jet. If you leasurely drive around with it any rich jet (piolot, needle, main) will turn a plug brown hiding a lean situation in another jet (also hiding a problem).
but not with the stock jet, shoot rich first and come back.

Old 06-11-2005, 01:03 AM
Pro Rider

True some one her with a blater should be able to shoot you close.

Old 06-11-2005, 10:59 AM
Trailblazer

Lebanshee thank you so much for your intelligent response. Very informative and I will be taking care of this this weekend as well as next week.

Banshee392 - Get some class you prepubertal child.