Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Kodiak 05 brake problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2005, 08:00 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kodiak 05 brake problems

I purchased an 05 Kodiak 450 9 months ago. From the start I loved the machine except for the squeaky brakes. At first it was sporatic, but then continued to be on going. I contacted the dealer, but was told it was comon with this model. It is only the back discs, as the front don't make any noise. I know that some disc brakes make noise when applied, but this noise is all the time when not applied. I have cleaned the rotor and even installed new dp pads, but still the same. I did have one dealer tell me that they installed ceramic pads, but wouldn't tell me where to purchase for my own install. Told me to bring it in. Has anyone had simular problems and if so , please could you pass that info to me?

Old 10-24-2005, 09:13 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you show up at that dealer and ask to buy a set of pads, they'll sell them to you. Otherwise check out someplace like Dennis Kirk or Rocky Mountain for those ceramic pads.

Old 10-24-2005, 10:50 AM
Pro Rider
Has Been Around Here Quite Awhile!

Kodiaktracker, They all do it . Just like yours, mine started out just a little at a time.Now it's full time. You can hose it down real good and It will quit for a while till it get s dirty again. If your find a brake pad that is quite please let us all know so we can switch. I did see some disk brake quite spray at auto zone the other day, wonder if it would help or just collect more dust?

Old 10-24-2005, 11:12 AM
Weekend Warrior

Hey Camokodiak450, I have tried the spray that you have heard about, but it only lasted for a few days. It was something simular to srpay anti seize. They only thing that has helped so far was to sand the pads and rotor. One thing that I have noticed was that they caliper when applied doesn't pull in square. The rear caliper is different from the front, and may be the reason only the back makes the squeal

Old 10-24-2005, 03:49 PM
Elite Pro Rider

My 04 kodi does it too, but not very bad anymore. Theres a few thing you can do.
Try using the brakes real hard, a couple of times. They might just need bedding.
If that doesnt do it, then try the same things they try on cars and trucks. Theres a synthetic grease, i think is called disk quiet, which goes between the pads and calipher, and helps to keep the pads away from the disk, when not in use.
Other than that, use a softer, not harder compound for pads, just the cheap organic pads would squeel alot less than the ceramic type.

Old 10-24-2005, 05:02 PM
Range Rover

Last week I replaced the front pads on my Kodiak, the right front was worn down to the metal. I have about 1300 miles of very hard riding, much mud and sand bars on the river. A fatal combination on brakes, mud and sand. The rear also need replaced, I am sure that is down to metal or nearly there. The front don't seem to squeak now, I bought Emgo Metal Pads, I think, from a nearby ATV dealer ( Arctic Cat). The sticker shock almost killed me, $22 bucks a side ouch, $45 for just the front. I could put new pads on my GMC for less than that I believe. The rear pads are gonna be $30, but I was gonna check around first. I will just order over the internet I imagine, any suggestions on brands or dealers for new rear pads? Thanks

Old 10-24-2005, 11:49 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have a 2005 Kodiak 450. The back brakes started squeaking right away. My dealer said to stand on the back brake. Not hard enough to throw ya over the bars. I did this twice. The noise stopped instantly. Get it rolling 15 - 20 mph and lock it up.

Dan

Old 10-25-2005, 08:50 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thank's, I'll try these things. It drives me crazy... I use the kodiak for hunting and ride many trails trough the woods amd I want to be as quiet as possible