Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

PORTING BANSHEE- how can i do it myself

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2005, 07:56 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PORTING- i want to make it myself

does anyone know an internet site that explain how to execute good porting or simply explain to me please. i am a machinist and i really know that i can do it, i already got the tools to perform it but i don't have the knowledge applied for this kind of science. I really want to learn it. Thanks Pat [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

Old 10-29-2005, 10:44 AM
Pro Rider
Default PORTING BANSHEE- how can i do it myself

i would think you would need a flow bench to get some good port work done that you would acutly gain power from..........

Old 10-29-2005, 11:59 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

There are templates for porting on the market. Just Google it. How good are they? I have no idea. You might PM Dabeachman and ask?

Old 10-29-2005, 12:55 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I PM'd him and gave him some advice. I have seen the templates and for the do it yourselfer they are a good starting point.

Hey Pat, if you really want to start understanding the gas dynamics and effects of components and porting on the motor, then buy a good book such as A. Graham Bell's "Two stroke Performance" though amazon or such. www.macdizzy.com helps explain some stuff as well. This is not something you can learn in a few weeks. Maybe in a few years if you have a lot of hands on.

Old 10-29-2005, 06:43 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

nobody will ever understand a 2-stroke well enough to build the "perfect" motor. Thats how complex these things are.

however, grahams book is enough to get you started. His idea's and theories are kind of outdated, i dont agree with some of his combustion setups, but we all have our preferences.

Honestly though, if i were you i would just buy a race logic template for you and call it good. Otherwise send it to somebody that knows what they are doing because it is truely worth the 400 bucks for somebody else to put the 20 hours into them

Old 10-30-2005, 09:24 AM
Pro Rider

if u dont do it for a living, dont even attempt it....porting is extremely hard and is not a simple matter of letting the most air in as possible, but getting it to mix better with the fuel

Old 11-02-2005, 12:12 AM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If he really wants to learn, he should go for. Even the best porting guy had to start from scratch. I can't/don't port, but I understand the dynamics of raising or lowering the ports to change timing, and opening flow channels, so there is definately a lot to learn.

Old 11-02-2005, 04:09 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

everybody in the business had a very large head start in what/how to port over the fella asking the question.

Old 11-02-2005, 08:48 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OK, so that must mean no one else can learn porting and when all the great porters of today, are gone, no more porters.
Bummer

Old 11-27-2005, 05:37 AM
Trailblazer

I wouldn't risk doing my own porting. If you do not have the skills that would be a total fubar.