Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

car oil in a atv

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2005, 09:17 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default car oil in a atv

Would or could it hurt the quad at all if you put car oil in it instead of the recomended oil.

Old 11-08-2005, 09:51 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Default car oil in a atv

It depends on the quad. If it has a wet clutch...then definetly dont use auto oils. A motor like the 450r, which has separate engine and tranny oil, it would be ok to use it in the motor, but not the tranny.
Safest bet, is to use whats spelled out in the owners manual.
What quad are you thinking of putting the oil in?

Old 11-08-2005, 10:00 PM
Pro Rider
Default car oil in a atv

I use Mobil 1 red cap (fully synthetic) in mine.
Should be fine as long as it doesn't have friction modifiers in it.
It is the friction modifiers that can cause a wet clutch to slip.
If you are not sure whether a specific oil has friction modifiers in it, then stick with the oils made specifically for wet clutches (can be found at the cycle shop) albeit they will be a bit more expensive....

Old 11-09-2005, 12:50 AM
Trailblazer
Default car oil in a atv

dont be cheap [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img], if it has a clutch use motorcycle oil.

Old 11-09-2005, 09:46 AM
Shed Knocker Rider
Harley Punk!
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default car oil in a atv

I used to use normal motor oil in my 01' 400ex for years and never had a problem. BUT, I started to run motorcycle oil and it shifted much smoother. And if it is shifting smoother, it has to be better on the engine/tranny.

Old 11-09-2005, 09:58 AM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts
Default car oil in a atv

I have been using "car" oil in my minitrail, XR75, and XR200 for many years and have not had any problems what so ever.

I also should say that all my 2 strokes get BelRay Gear Saver in their trannys. And I use Amsoil 10-40 4 stroke motorcycle oil in my KTM.

Bottom line for me is this. If your riding a high performance machine, treat it like one. If youve got a recreational based machine that putts around most of the time, regular oil should be fine.

Old 11-09-2005, 11:34 AM
Pro Rider
Default car oil in a atv

I have been running Castrol GTX 20W50 for 3 years on my raptor and have no issues at all. I ran this whole season and not one single problem with my engine or clutch. Last year I started a race and my drain plug fell out somewhere in the first 5 miles of the race and my raptor still made it 21 more miles with no oil before it quit, then after it cooled off I put oil in in and it started and ran fine except for oil leaking from the valve cover, which led to me finding the cam had scored up the journals so I replaced the head and cam to be safe. But my point is regular oil is fine if you change it often which I do.

Old 11-09-2005, 12:53 PM
Pro Rider
Default car oil in a atv

An engine is an engine. The only thing that matters is whether it has a wet clutch. Look in the API label on your oil bottle if it states "ENERGY CONSERVING" in this label then it is not a good idea to put this in your wet clutched equipped bike or quad. These oils contain either molybdenum, graphite or a as combination of the two. These elements may load up in the porus clutch material causing it to slip.

I am a big fan of synthetic oils and run them in everything I own. I also like to use the heavier multi-viscosity oils. My favorite is Mobile 1 15-50. This used to be known as "red cap" now it has a gold cap. There are better oils but the price goes up real quick. I get 5 qts of Mobile1 at Walmart for about $20.00.

Motorcycle oils contain a slightly modified group VII package which allows more Zinc and Phosphorus. These elements are hard on catalytic converters which motorcycles didn't used to have. Now street bikes are coming with catalytic converters and the level of Zn and P in the motorcycle oils has been reduced. Some are almost identical to car oils except they cost twice as much. There are now newer molecules that offer the same catastrophic protection as the ZN and P and they are added to all oils.

Old 11-09-2005, 02:24 PM
Shed Knocker Rider
Harley Punk!
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default car oil in a atv

Originally posted by: mywifesquad

Bottom line for me is this. If your riding a high performance machine, treat it like one. If youve got a recreational based machine that putts around most of the time, regular oil should be fine.
I think this is the best piece of advice yet