Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Extended Raptor Swingarm for desert?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2005, 01:00 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Extended Raptor Swingarm for desert?

I am shopping for a +2 or +4 swingarm for the Raptor. All the ones I have found are the tube kind. They look cool but I need a skid plate for rocky desert riding. Do these have skid plate attachment points? Can they take major rock impacts? Any recommendations?

Is there anyone out there that will extend the stock swingarm?

Thanks!

Old 11-15-2005, 02:28 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally posted by: MasterRaptor
I am shopping for a +2 or +4 swingarm for the Raptor. All the ones I have found are the tube kind. They look cool but I need a skid plate for rocky desert riding. Do these have skid plate attachment points? Can they take major rock impacts? Any recommendations?Is there anyone out there that will extend the stock swingarm?Thanks!
Several guys have extended their stock swingers with little success....most of the time they wind up cracking at the welds. My Tucker +4 (tube kind) came with the skid plate tabs so my skid bolted right up (you have to ask for the tabs when ordering). I have beat and banged mine on the Hatfield / Mccoy rocks for a couple years now and it's holding up well. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 11-15-2005, 06:04 PM
Range Rover

Thumbs up on the Tucker +4 and skid plate mounts.

CRR

Old 11-15-2005, 06:50 PM
Pro Rider

OK. You should know that I have hit hard enough to sheer the mounting bolts off ...and another time that pulled the nutserts out of the front. I had to thru bolt my skid plate using 3/8 high grades to keep it on the swing arm. It's rough here and sometimes I don't slow down enough for rocks.

It stays on now. It was a pain until I got that set up right.

That tucker is pretty strong, ay?

Old 11-15-2005, 07:15 PM
Range Rover

Yea, your probably right.

Them Peoria rocks are probably stronger than the Tucson and Hatfield/Mccoy rocks?

Maybe somebody else knows of a better swingarm with tabs.

CRR

Old 11-15-2005, 07:38 PM
Pro Rider

my tucker pro +4 holds up great, to bad tucker pro/pro sport atv swingarms are no longer manufactered....

Old 11-15-2005, 08:37 PM
Pro Rider

check Janssen out, I just got a +1 1/2 and it is a beefy swinger, The mounting tabs for the skid plate are chromoloy too and purdy thick. I havent done it yet but looks like my armadillo skid will bolt right on. Sounds like you need to go up to 22's in the rear if you havent already that will help some, but in the end there are some rocks with your name on them. I found one at the Soccoro 100 and took out my a arms and shock on the right side. If you desert race you should come over for some of ours here and here is our team site Wide Open Racing I'll put up pics when I get my swinger all installed, I'm also working on the foot pegs, moving them down 1 1/2" and back 1".

Old 11-15-2005, 11:54 PM
Pro Rider

I don't know if any of you Arizonians ever do the Lake Pleasant to Crown King ride, but thats where I have had skid plate issues. ( I love that ride). If you have done that ride, you know what I am talkn' bout with the rocks.

The first thing I did was go to 22" Razr IIs. That helped alot.

The problem is that I don't really have an issue with the stock swing arm in the desert. It handles fine.

It's the dunes where I am crawling on to the radiator to keep the front end down....very uncomfortable. I hate to give up the crown king ride by adding a swingarm.

warwgn,

I will check out that 1.5 ". Did your JE piston explode yet?

Old 11-16-2005, 01:03 AM
Pro Rider

I've done the Crown King ride many times and ride the imperial sand dunes. I wouldn't want to have that extra length for all the desert riding I do. Probably nice for the dunes.

I just did the Turkey Creek ride from Black Canyon City up to Cleator, you ever try that one? Total ball buster. I don't know if you have gone up the back side of Lake Pleasant to Crown King lately but that ride has gotten way worse than I have ever seen with last winter's rains.

If you get the longer swing arm, let us know how you like it.

Old 11-16-2005, 09:15 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally posted by: CTracingraptor
my tucker pro +4 holds up great, to bad tucker pro/pro sport atv swingarms are no longer manufactered....
Huh? Thats the first I have heard that....anyone else have any details? Tucker is not making swingers at all any more??

Quick Reply: Extended Raptor Swingarm for desert?