Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Just Picked Up an 05 YFZ450 Special Edition

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2005, 02:09 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just Picked Up an 05 YFZ450 Special Edition

What's up everybody, ive been away from the forums for awhile, and ive been away from riding for awhile i sold my timberwolf about 6 months ago and havent riden since. the other day i went to the yamaha dealership and picked up a 2005 YFZ450 Special Edition it was a leftover they had and i got it for about 5900, this thing absolutely RIPS i love it alreadyi dont have much seat time on it cuz theres about a foot of snow on the ground but the time i have riden it was awesome i love it it feels so good to ride again, anyways ive heard that there is something you can do to the stock exhaust to give it more power like take the baffle out or something, i dont really know how to do this so if anyone knows of any websites that explain it or anyone knows the step by step directions it would be appreciated. if anyone knows any other free hop ups that would be appreciated too. thanks, and its great to be back.

Old 12-12-2005, 11:07 PM
Pro Rider

Congrats on the new YFZ. I paid extra for a limited edition 2005 YFZ, and then went and changed to orange plastic anyway, so the expensive limited edition plastic is now collecting dust in the basement. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]

The stock exhaust silencer has a spark arrestor with a pea shooter sized opening. Here are your instructions for removal.

1) Remove the bolt that holds the spark arrestor insert into the back of the stock silencer.
2) Grasp spark arrestor with a pair of vice grip or a channel lock pliers.
3) Pull

If you think your YFZ rips now, you aint seen nothing yet. Open up the airbox and exhaust, and rejet the carb, and you'll be flying.

DV

Old 12-16-2005, 02:17 AM
Range Rover

yup, remove those three bolts around the pipe's endcap, take off the end cap, then there's a set screw on the bottom of the pipe outlet, unscrew that, then with some pliars or vice grips, grab on to the spark arrester and pull it out. It might take some serious pulling, but it will come. The more you've ridden with the sp. arrester in, the harder it will be to pull out. Mine care out way easy, but I have some friends that took a whole lot of pulling and yanking to get it. I've also heard of some guys unscrewing everything, and then riding it around hard, untill the spark arrester pops out! Never tried it that way, but I suppose it would probably work! Not to mention, it'd sure be the funnest way to get it out! Other than that, there aren't really any other free power gainers that I know of. One thing that I do is run a half and half mix of 110 octane race gas to supreme mix, that really wakes it up! I don't know if you could run strait 110 on a stock machine. the mix I run is cheaper, and it was plenty of power from gas for me! I don't wanna risk strait 110 on my bike, but I don't know, it might be fine! but like that last guy said, pipe, intake, and some jets and you're gonna be rockin! Have fun and ride safe! by the way, nice bargain hunting! 5900 is an incredible price!

Old 12-16-2005, 02:53 PM
Pro Rider

How did you get it for so cheap? They are 6999 here in Texas

Old 12-19-2005, 08:27 PM
Trailblazer

The dealership that I bought it from had just gotten in a shipment of 2006 models and that was the last 2005 model they had. So they put it on sale for real cheap, I saw and bought it, its brand new 0 miles when i bought it. I know the 2006's are alot better but for the price i paid i can just put mods into it, and still prolly wouldnt equal the price of an 06. the more i ride the more i love it. it is such and incredible machine, i already have nerfs and skid plates put on it. Pipe is next.

Old 12-20-2005, 01:33 AM
Pro Rider

Congrats on the new YFZ, great aren't they [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]. If you don't want to buy an exhaust system, I have heard that putting a aftermarket sparky in helps alot. I was really thinking about this but I just went with a new pipe. It is supposed to sound like an aftermarket pipe and give you a few ponies as well. Another thing you can do is retard the cam timing, I'll probablly be doing this sometime soon.