Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

700R mods

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2005, 10:17 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 700R mods

I have decided to go with the 700R but... how many mods are really required to open it up? Browsing through the forums it looks like another 1k is needed in money to mod it right.

When I do purchase one I was looking into getting the "Raptor 700 stainless pipe, silencer, disc, fuel management system & pro flow K&N filter from CT", which is around $800 or the HMF full system which is $450, and if I pipe it I heard that I will need to get a Power Commander III which is around $300 or a Doebeck $200 Doeback and PCII are the same thing correct? And I also wanted to put a set of nerf bars on it as well.

Its just looking like it is going to cost a lot to put some simple pipes/silencers on it because then you have to reprogram it as well...

Old 12-14-2005, 01:51 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default 700R mods

I personally run the PC3 and I love it. However, if you want to get the most bang for the buck, on e-bay right now they are selling the HMF full system with a Dobeck unit for like 620.

Old 12-14-2005, 09:41 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default 700R mods

I put on the gytr full system with air filter. I had my yamaha dealer adjust my FI for $30 instead of buying a FI Controller and it runs perfect. Much faster than stock! Piped 450's and piped banshee's can't touch me where I ride. (Sand Mt Utah)

If you don't want to spend that much, You would probably make huge power gains just by doing a filter and removing the baffle in your stock exaust. You would need a FI controler unless your dealer can adjust your FI.

I did mine in steps to see what made the biggest difference. First I did the full pipe and took the lid off. I got more mid range, but not much top end. Then I did the filter and it made all the differecne.

Just my expirience. Good luck

Old 12-20-2005, 02:59 PM
Trailblazer
Default 700R mods

I just got back from my first dune trip with my 700R. If you are trying to save some $$ for now, take out the pea shoter out of the exhaust and remove the airbox lid.

I was smokin tons of bikes out there in the South Dunes (of Glamis) with my Raptor. Before doing those 2 things I hated the bike. Since doing that those 2 simple things, I really like it now and it runs hard. I was beating Honda 450s with full exhaust systems by 3-4 lengths at comp hill. Banshees with slight mods, couldn't hand. Yfz with slip on, beat him be 4-5 times. I was usually the first one to the top and I raced these other bikes multiple times. To the point where I am so sore I cant move today.

I am happy with the Raptor now and trying to figure out which pipe is going to give me the most HP. I really think that I can beat those modded yfz bikes once I get the full exhaust system and reprogram the FI. Also going to add the K&N as well. All my friends run yfzs with the most aggressive bolt on mods you can do. Some of them are making 49 HP, and those are who I want to beat.

I didn't reprogram for those 2 mods I listed above and it ran good.

Old 12-20-2005, 06:20 PM
Pro Rider
Default 700R mods

Originally posted by: BoatGuy
I just got back from my first dune trip with my 700R. If you are trying to save some $$ for now, take out the pea shoter out of the exhaust and remove the airbox lid.

I was smokin tons of bikes out there in the South Dunes (of Glamis) with my Raptor. Before doing those 2 things I hated the bike. Since doing that those 2 simple things, I really like it now and it runs hard. I was beating Honda 450s with full exhaust systems by 3-4 lengths at comp hill. Banshees with slight mods, couldn't hand. Yfz with slip on, beat him be 4-5 times. I was usually the first one to the top and I raced these other bikes multiple times. To the point where I am so sore I cant move today.

I am happy with the Raptor now and trying to figure out which pipe is going to give me the most HP. I really think that I can beat those modded yfz bikes once I get the full exhaust system and reprogram the FI. Also going to add the K&N as well. All my friends run yfzs with the most aggressive bolt on mods you can do. Some of them are making 49 HP, and those are who I want to beat.

I didn't reprogram for those 2 mods I listed above and it ran good.

Hey man, just want to let you know that if you HANDS DOWN want to win and have a faster quad then your buddies yfzs, your going to have to go farther then a exhaust, intake, and efi controller. Now if your buddies yfz's are only pulling 49 horse, then you may trade wins with them with all those mods. You will be making that or close to that in horsepower, your only delema is the extra 50 lbs, giving the yfz a huge power/weight advantage.
Go get the 734 kit or something, and you should be fine!!!
With the mods I have, I am running mid 50's on the yfz. I have yet to have a 700 give me and problem. Guys with stock bore yfzs are getting into the 58-59 horse range. It just requires the right combination.
My 700 is stock for now, but am looking forward to modding it!

Old 12-20-2005, 09:11 PM
Pro Rider
Default 700R mods

i know guys with stock bore raptor that can almost hit 70hp, however on the 700r if you put a K&N and remove the baffle you get 50hp out of them. I rode my friends like this, it honestly didnt seem that powerful but everytime we raced he was about 1-3 lengths behind me, and im pushin 53hp on my stoc bore, so it was close.

Old 12-20-2005, 09:34 PM
Pro Rider
Default 700R mods

Right now on ebay you can get a full HMF system with a Dobeck module with free shipping for $549. This price is insane. HMF

Old 12-20-2005, 10:56 PM
Trailblazer
Default 700R mods

Originally posted by: GE4x4
Right now on ebay you can get a full HMF system with a Dobeck module with free shipping for $549. This price is insane. HMF

The above plus $539.99 734 and you wont have much trouble pulling away from the 450's [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 12-20-2005, 11:22 PM
Pro Rider
Default 700R mods

Your just about right on that. After buying complete exhaust, Pro Design Intake and Power Commander, im very close to that.

The big difference is the computer. Any single carbed bike is prolly under $20 in parts to jet. Is it worth it? It is if you want the 700 to run right! How important is EFI to you? If not very then you can always select another bike, if cost is your primary motive.

Old 12-21-2005, 03:49 PM
Pro Rider
Default 700R mods

Originally posted by: CTracingraptor
i know guys with stock bore raptor that can almost hit 70hp, however on the 700r if you put a K&N and remove the baffle you get 50hp out of them. I rode my friends like this, it honestly didnt seem that powerful but everytime we raced he was about 1-3 lengths behind me, and im pushin 53hp on my stoc bore, so it was close.

Horse power numbers seem pretty high to me, from what I have seen. I am assuming its a prodesign style intake, with a k&n, no lid, and pipes??

The numbers I have been seeing a lot are those mods with the hmf, and the doebeck efi. They range from 48-49 horse. I can see 50 horse if you tune your efi controller better or something, but its going to take the exhaust to get you there, and not just removing the baffle. I have NO PROOF of that, but common sence would lead me to believe that going with a aftermarket exhaust would provide more power than the stock w/o a baffle?
Did your friend really take the time and money to dyno a 700r with an intake, BUT NO EXHAUST? If so, he is getting some numbers that I have never heard of. Hmf better re-think there exhaust systems.

Anyway, I cant wait to do the above mods on my 700r, and see what kind of power I can get out of it. For argument sake, I would like to have my yfz dynoed that same day and see whats its pulling, in comparison to the 700r, granted, my yfz has more mods.

Quick Reply: 700R mods