Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Dilemna

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2006, 06:57 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dilemna

I'm in a bit of a tight spot here and could use some good advice. I allready put topics up about both the raptor and banshee, but i still can't decide which to buy. All i'll be doing is climbling short, steep hills, riding around on the roads and fields and just plain out cruising and going fast. I'm looking at buying either a 2005 raptor (bone stock, but excellent shape) or a 1998 banshee (race ready, works shocks, durablue axle, tires, 2 sets of douglas rims, carbs, filter, pistons, etc.)
I guess i basically want to know which quad will cost me more money when it comes time to service it at my local dealer. That and which one will last longer. Any input would really help.
2 months ago i was all set on getting a banshee no matter what, but now that i got the money to get a quad, this guy pops up outta no where with a really good deal on a raptor. I don't know which quad to get now.

Old 01-10-2006, 07:02 PM
Trailblazer
Default Dilemna

the banshee will cost you alot more to service and maintain than the raptor ,my mate has just blown up his 2003 banshee race tuned, needs full rebuiled,go raptor route, you won't regret it,if you go banshee ,you'll have fun until it breaks

Old 01-10-2006, 07:07 PM
Pro Rider
Default Dilemna

Go for the raptor. What you are gonna be doing it will work just fine.

Old 01-10-2006, 07:18 PM
Range Rover
Default Dilemna

I would go with the raptor. my buddy has a 98 shee and all he has done to it is fix it. Dont get me wrong, the shee is fast as hell when it does run, but its not that often. The rappy is a good all around quad.

Old 01-11-2006, 04:19 PM
Range Rover
Default Dilemna

I'll probably just be messing around with the quad. Going fast down the road, hitting some jumps. I'll also be climbing some really steep hills, but they're short enough to go fast on and get air off of them. I'll also be doing some fishing, just cruising the streets, racing and by the way the fastest thing around here is quadracer 250. From what i heard, if i get the raptor, it should be able to beat the quadracer, is this true? The guy that owns the banshee isn't willing to get the quad to where it needs to be shipped from so i'm thinking about going with the '05 raptor because i know the guy pretty good and he's gonna ship it to me for free. But i tried to explain the type of riding i'll be doing the best i can. I live in north eastern montana, and there are no mx tracks anywhere near, so it's just gonna be hill climbing, and messing around and going fast. But i need some more input about the rappy. stuff like is it good for jumping, hill climbing, and to just mess around on. thanks

Old 01-11-2006, 04:58 PM
Range Rover
Default Dilemna

I do everything that you mentiond on my raptor. I have no complaints, plus it has reverse. It is a great thing if you want to trail ride. My friend said he gets tired of getting off his shee to push it back out of the thick stuff. Pluss i think having a 4 stroke is more reliable imo...

Old 01-11-2006, 05:34 PM
Pro Rider
Default Dilemna

If they are the same price, go with the Banshee.

1. It will cost you in the neighborhood of $4K+ to bring your raptor up to the speed and suspension the Banshee sounds like it has. (I know, I have done it)

2. You want to climb hills. The raptor sucks at climbing. You have to sit on the radiator because the front end is so light. You would need at least a +2 swinger ($600) to enjoy those climbs.

3. You like to race. A stock raptor is on par with a LT250. (I've had both) A simple well tuned piped banshee can make 60hp easy and will smoke the 250. The stock raptor is about 35 hp add a pipe and you are in the mid 40s ($250)...still whimpy compared to your race ready Banshee.

4. The banshee is low maintence, simple and easy to work on. You can do the work yourself. You will only blow up the Banshee if you are not jetted right. Just learn how to tune it and you will have no maintence problems. Raptors need frequent oil changes and valve adjustments.

The Raptor is newer, so you will have to tinker less. Only get the stock raptor if you want to give up the performance advatages so you don't have to tinker.

JMO