Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Bruin clutch kit

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2006, 07:09 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bruin clutch kit

My 2006 Bruin bogs down at low speeds on steep inclines or while trying to pull heavy objects . Example , while trying to pull small tree from path , no wheel spin, nuthin. Does anyone know whether installing a clutch kit will improve this , or is it lack of cajones in the old engine bay ? I would think there would at least be wheel spin .

Old 01-11-2006, 03:21 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bruin clutch kit

A clutch kit may help some by getting the rpms up before engaging, hoever you still have a small motor and a drive train that is not made for working hard. The clutch kit may take away some of the top end speed as well. I would call one of the major brands for clutch kits and talk to them to see what tey have to say.

Old 01-11-2006, 03:37 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Default Bruin clutch kit

Have you tried pulling the primary pulley apart, and relubing the weights? If they are dirty, dry or sticking, itll run real doggy.
The bruin motor isnt a real powerhouse, but it should be able to spin the tires, on dirt in 2wd, fairly effortlessly. They rate the bruin at about a 1100 lb tow capasity, but thats a trailer, and not a dead drag. It still should have spun the tires though.
Has the belt drive been swamped, as in filled with water?
Welcome to the forums

Old 01-11-2006, 06:06 PM
Pro Rider
Default Bruin clutch kit

The bruin would definitelly be able to spin the tires. What size tires are on your machine, are they still stock?

Old 01-11-2006, 09:16 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Bruin clutch kit

Thanks for the reply . The Bruin hasn't been baptized yet and has only had about four tanks of gas ran through it so all mechanicals are go . Haven't torn into it yet but can't leave well enough alone . I did install 26x9x12 frnt. and 26x10x12 rear itp mudlites but the condition I spoke of earlier occured with stock 25" tires . Perhaps it is merely the nature of centrifugal clutches to bog under load at low rpm's , and I am expecting too much from the lil bast*#d . But I always feel there is room for improvement .The aftermarket hasn't been real kind to the Bruin as my upgrade options are limited. Did you machine your own clutch weights ? If so what size stock did you use ? I don't want to loose what little top end I have so maybe the clutch job is the wrong avenue to take . You seem to have spent considerable time and effort in this area and I would value your opinion . thanks again .

Old 01-11-2006, 09:27 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Default Bruin clutch kit

Yes, I machined my own weights. I just used aluminum bar stock, but in the end, it really doesnt work out that well, because the system is balanced together. ( the weights, centrifical clutch springs, and secondary pulley spring) I only changed the weights, but then the back shifting didnt work very well, and i found the secondary spring needs to be balanced to the weights. Good luck finding optional secondary springs. Then the centrifical clutch springs need changing as well, to a stiffer spring...to delay the engagement to a higher rpm. Those springs arent easy to fabricate either. I finally ended up with the stock weights and springs in there for now.
And youre right, those aftermarket tires are much more agressive, and have a much better bite...so spinning the tires now, might not be posible.
Its not a big deal to lube the weights, my friend got a bruin, and they were barely lubed from the factory, so we relubed them, and now the bruin will spin the tires easily...that might be the case for you too.
Good luck,

Old 01-11-2006, 11:16 PM
Trailblazer
Default Bruin clutch kit

how much grease do u put in your clutch and where do u put it , where the weights are or just fill the inside of the clutch ?

Old 01-12-2006, 12:34 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Default Bruin clutch kit

They reccomend about one tablespoon per weight. Thats about one ounce. A bit more wont hurt, as the grease gets flung to the outside of the track after about 5 minutes of riding. You want to make sure theres enough grease for the weights to reach it when revved up.